Interior Is there any disadvantage to "buying off the shop floor" for a 21.64? Help!

Paul Wescott

Oct 26, 2014
Hi we are, like anyone else, in a hurry to buy a bigger van for the extended break over the christmas break.
We have been in to our local Jayco dealer and have found a Expanda Outback 21.64 which shall fit us, although its not 100% perfect in the layout. (we'd rather have the triple bunks than the double)

We've been offered a very good price which includes the annex, plus annex storage room, and soon to be added ESC.

If I had my way, I'd have triple bunks, outdoor shower, upgraded Air-Con, and gas Bayonet.

Please ADVISE me fast, as we have this van on hold at the moment to buy… and all YOUR knowledge and experience will help us make our decision.

If we build, wait time is well into March next year

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
If it suits you then it's a good buy if it's just a quick it's all that's available and not what I realy want then no .
The external shower can be fitted easy after if it has a hws already . Gas bayonet easy and do you realy need the upgrade the aircon ? Have you tried it on a hot day ? .

Have a honest think about it is it what you want and if it is then go for it .

I'd put it. On the dealer to fit the external shower and gas bayonet see how you go .

Welcome to the site there are many great people on here willing to help you spend you $$$$$ :bolt:

Paul Wescott

Oct 26, 2014
Hello and thank you for the replies….

We have simply stumbled upon the 21.64 expanda as an option.

We have 5 kids including 2 older ones, and we are simply trying to fit everyone in.
This van gives us the flexibility to do it. Not sure why you think I would regret the triple bunk option??

I have been reading non stop on forums about the positives and negatives of these vans.
Towing, size and space are the pluses, but the negatives are also the build quality, things breaking, leaks etc.

What I'm getting at I suppose is, if I buy and order one custom built, do I get a better quality van compared to "off the shelf" scenario??

Is that a fair question??

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Outdoor shower and bayonet is easy, doable and not too expensive. Get them to fit them to clinch the deal. You could get a bed converter for your club lounge. Is this van a demo, show model or from a stuffed up order?
Sometimes demo's have bad UV damage and heaps of scratches in things like showers and floor. Can you car tow it? Does it have an extended drawbar? If you ordered new would you get an extended draw bar.
If you get the van you want it will be a 2015 model, normally with new features.
Agree with DaveMc about the 20.63. If you don't need the end bed, that would be a great van at an awesome price with plenty of options.

Reactions: mfexpanda and Ren77

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hello and thank you for the replies….

We have simply stumbled upon the 21.64 expanda as an option.

We have 5 kids including 2 older ones, and we are simply trying to fit everyone in.
This van gives us the flexibility to do it. Not sure why you think I would regret the triple bunk option??

I have been reading non stop on forums about the positives and negatives of these vans.
Towing, size and space are the pluses, but the negatives are also the build quality, things breaking, leaks etc.

What I'm getting at I suppose is, if I buy and order one custom built, do I get a better quality van compared to "off the shelf" scenario??

Is that a fair question??
They are all built in the same factory by the same people, so the quality will be the same regardless. Regarding the triple bunks as opposed to the double, i personally find the triple a little tight on space ... a little claustrophobic. Adults or bigger adult size kids would struggle to get into the triple bunk. If you can fit all your tribe in the stock van .... grab it

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
if you need 5 beds for kids.. Triple bunks give you 3 and two on the end bed. Otherwise your dropping the table down or putting three on the double. Although I agree the triple bunks are a tight squeeze not sure what the length is for the bunks? Our Starcraft is 1850 long which is around 6ft although the L one is 1557 so they have to play footsie when they get bigger.
Not easy with lots of kids.. We wanted the option to separate the 4 we have hence 3 and the dinette that can drop down. So far we have endured the twins sharing a bottom bunk although they keep each other up all night :(
If we could buy without ordering we would off. the wait kills you :)

Reactions: Bluey and Crusty181