Electrical Is the chassis earthed ?

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
As I'm slack I still haven't finished wiring the sub woofer I bought .
The instruction say to connect the power + to the + of the battery but the neg side to the earthed frame .
So is the van earthed or do I need to just connect it to the neg side of the battery ?

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
To my knowledge, the chassis is only earthed to the car battery whilst physically touching the towball (assuming a regular towball) -and depending on how you have connected the car and caravan battery, this would then earth the caravan battery to the caravan chassis. It's not common to use the caravan chassis as the negative return unlike a car. The chassis is earthed to ground for 240v as a safety measure.

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
To my knowledge, the chassis is only earthed to the car battery whilst physically touching the towball (assuming a regular towball) -and depending on how you have connected the car and caravan battery, this would then earth the caravan battery to the caravan chassis. It's not common to use the caravan chassis as the negative return unlike a car. The chassis is earthed to ground for 240v as a safety measure.

Not to sure about that??????

The only way to earth something like a radio in a caravan would be via the negative side of the battery and or using the Setec which is linked to the negative side of the battery.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Old thread I know but the van chassis is earthed to the van battery including the metal frame, while not the ideal way to earth an appliance if it wasn't then static could be a problem, 240 is earthed to chassis also but van is not grounded to mother earth.
At a couple of points you will find white (12v) and green (240) earths screwed to chassis.

Reactions: dagree and Tone