Exterior Is it Silicon or Sikaflex?

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Was washing the van today and noticed that the white stuff where the moldings join the fiberglass is starting to get a big grubby and shrinking.

Is that silicon or sikaflex that they have used? I want to have a go at redoing it all.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
hey @BigSkiddy. Sikaflex is polyurethane; its expensive and awesome stuff but doesn't stick to everything ... the stuff it does stick to sticks very well, fibreglass being one of them but you need to rough the surface and prep wash first. If you don't prep the surface it won't stick properly. Sikaflex 291 is a marine filler and adhesive and available at Bunnings. I was chatting to the dealer the other day about a replacement hatch and asked him what sealer Jayco use because the Sikaflex I was using under then van wasn't sticking to whatever Jayco put on the floor penetrations. His response was the cheapest stuff going, but at the dealership they use Sikasil roof and gutter (silicone) which he said had the best all round results.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Ive stuck down my solar panels on roof with it, sealed up my flares with it, filled holes/gaps around van with it, I stick gauges to customers cars dash/s who dont want holes in dash etc

Last edited:

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Question with regards to what people are calling Sikaflex. Sikaflex is a brand name and they produce lots of different products including Silicon's Polyurethanes and Butyl Mastic's. Is everyone referring to Sikaflex's Polyurethane range as Sikaflex, cause it always confuses me. Silicon being the one that sets like the clear silicon we all refer to (even though it comes in lots of colours), and Butyl Mastic being the one like runny Blu-Tac that is rubber based and gets a skin but doesn't fully set (usually grey but can come in white or black).

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
HMMMMM Got me thinking @Dean Anderson . I use Sikaflex 291 Marine Sealant and Adhesive. Might have to have a look on one of the tubes tomorrow if I remember and see whether it's silcon or butyl mastic.

I'd be guessing Butyl Mastic as it seems to skin rather than set!

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Just looked at the website. There polyurethane Construction has 25% movement which is huge. I think everyone refers to that. Couldn't find it at my local hardware shop when replacing the hot water cover so used butyl mastic which looked more like what Jayco put on originally.

Would love to know the difference between all the silicons when they say 100% silicon and have different uses. I thought 100% meant 100%.All gets confusing for one as simple minded as myself.

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
One reason I use the marine 291 sika as I've used it before on boats and had no issues.... Don't want to change to something else and it leaks 20K's offshore :fish2: :eek-53:

And as you said they all claim to do the same thing but different compounds!

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I use this.

Doesn't say on the tube of its Silicone or butyl mastic, but it works well.
image.jpg

Reactions: Smirke and dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Question with regards to what people are calling Sikaflex. Sikaflex is a brand name and they produce lots of different products including Silicon's Polyurethanes and Butyl Mastic's. Is everyone referring to Sikaflex's Polyurethane range as Sikaflex, cause it always confuses me. Silicon being the one that sets like the clear silicon we all refer to (even though it comes in lots of colours), and Butyl Mastic being the one like runny Blu-Tac that is rubber based and gets a skin but doesn't fully set (usually grey but can come in white or black).
Sika is the brand, Sikaflex is the polyurathane range of sealants and adhesives Sika manufacture. Sika's silicon is called Silasil. Jayco use a silicon as their chosen sealant and adhesive. Polyurethane sticks well to some surfaces, and silicon to others. Polyurethane wont stick well to silicon, so be carful where you use the Sikaflex.

Reactions: dagree