Electrical Inverters

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
Hi all,
I have done a but of a search and most seem to have inverters installed of the pure sine wave type.
On searching ebay there seems to be a vast difference in prices.
Are the cheaper ones around the $350 mark for 3000w worth looking at or is it best to stick with the brand names like waeco and projector?
My fear is that when it arrives it isnt a pure sine wave inverter.

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
3000w..... WOW:o what would you need an inverter of that size for? I am assuming you meant 300w and if that is the case I got my 300w unit form Jaycar.

Reactions: dagree

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Not sure but I assume the 3000W would be the peak output @willobee, which would mean a 1500W continuous output.

We are also looking at getting one and fitting to the van, currently looking at the Projecta IP1000 which is the 1000 continuous and 2000 Peak output model.

Only reason we are looking at getting this one is so when we need to we can run the Nespresso machine of this which usually has a max output of 1400Wish, but will eat away at your battery after few uses if your not careful, dual batteries in the van would help.

Heaps of other threads on here also about inverters and what you can and can't run off them and the effect they have on your batteries

Enjoy the investigation, let us know what you decide to do

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Hi all,
I have done a but of a search and most seem to have inverters installed of the pure sine wave type.
On searching ebay there seems to be a vast difference in prices.
Are the cheaper ones around the $350 mark for 3000w worth looking at or is it best to stick with the brand names like waeco and projector?
My fear is that when it arrives it isnt a pure sine wave inverter.

@willobee,

We have a 2500W continuous (5000W Peak) - got it from a reputable ebay seller in Melbourne with a large factory/shop for about $270 a few years back. Has 4 terminals (2 +ve, 2 -ve) and 4 cables for each terminal, so a dual battery setup is highly recommended when using these bigger inverters.

We have 200W folding solar panel and dual battery setup and have free camped for up to 10 days with only the sun, but have not gone wanting for power. Just switch off the inverter when it is not in use as it will use between 1.5 - 2 Amps per hour in standby mode.

Only regret is that I did not get one with a remote on/off power switch so I could mount it in an appropriate place, so I reach under the sink to turn it on/off, rather than having to constantly keep lifting up the seats.

Yes, we put it in to run the espresso machine, toaster, washing machine and mikkywave - as my wife only does "Glamping" and needs her coffee in the morning!

Cheers,

Rohan

Reactions: mfexpanda

Zimbo

Feb 28, 2015
Perth
Bigger is convenient if you have the space & most certainly the solar & additional battery to support it if using heavy suckers - we run the bread machine on those remote locations - nothing like fresh bread when camping:). Initial trial was with the standard single panel & battery as supplied in the panda and monitored battery draw - tough on the last 15 minutes of baking cycle but no issues now on the dual battery & second panel.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
I have a Gen Power 3000/6000w inverter off of ebay and is working a treat, runs the coffee machine, toaster, washing machine, beaters, cooktop have even used it to run the water heater once (used 140amps total power though).

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
I have the same inverter as @ROnEM , I tend to follow up other forum members recommendations when buying from the net and it works a treat. I did run a wire from the inverter to a switch above the sink to avoid lifting the lounge chair every time I needed to turn it on/off. It NEEDS to run the Nespresso for my wife's first coffee of the morning so my day starts well.

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
I have a cheap 1000/2000 wat pure sine wave from Ebay ( but like ROnEM look for a high feedback seller)
It works well, also as he said I wish I bought the remote switch now that im putting it into the caravan.