Electrical Inverter installed to Power entire van

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
B15DB664-902A-43C6-9027-A58A349A07DF.jpeg
CD874D2F-4E66-4249-9B2F-909C7417758D.jpeg

So I finished the install of the new inverter today.

All wired up so that it will Power the entire van automatically.

Set up a changeover relay so it automatically disconnects whenever mains is plugged into the van, and also set up to automatically stop the setec charging when inverter is running.

Works well and can use any power point in the van.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
View attachment 57132 View attachment 57130

Set up a changeover relay so it automatically disconnects whenever mains is plugged into the van, and also set up to automatically stop the setec charging when inverter is running.

Hi @Bellbirdweb , looks like an excellent set up - very sophisticated too. You DO need to be a "tech head" to rig up your system like that. When that sort of inverter is running, I guess you will need to produce a lot of power for recharging your batteries. Still to fit your MPPT controller and wire it in??

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi @Bellbirdweb , looks like an excellent set up - very sophisticated too. You DO need to be a "tech head" to rig up your system like that. When that sort of inverter is running, I guess you will need to produce a lot of power for recharging your batteries. Still to fit your MPPT controller and wire it in??
Hi @Boots in Action it is listed as a 3500w continuous 7000w peak but like most ebay inverters it wouldn’t run a 2400w circular saw, so I’m doubting it’s actual capacity.

It does however run the microwave and will be great for powering the laptop etc.

Yes I have fitted the MPPT controller, but hasn’t been very successful so far.

All looks good, shows 19v from the PV, shows as bulk charge but 0 amps going to the battery.

I suspect it may be faulty so have emailed the seller to see what they suggest.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi @Boots in Action it is listed as a 3500w continuous 7000w peak but like most ebay inverters it wouldn’t run a 2400w circular saw, so I’m doubting it’s actual capacity.

It does however run the microwave and will be great for powering the laptop etc.

Yes I have fitted the MPPT controller, but hasn’t been very successful so far.

All looks good, shows 19v from the PV, shows as bulk charge but 0 amps going to the battery.

I suspect it may be faulty so have emailed the seller to see what they suggest.

Hi @Bellbirdweb , could it be that the MPPT controller needs battery voltage PLUS 5 volts to start up?? Refer my post of 12/9 on Solar Thread regarding this and the note on seller's Ebay advertising. I have no doubt that you have it connected properly, but do notice that there is NO terminal outlet on controller for load. I guess that this would mean that all power is fed to battery alone and all loads then come off battery. If there is a load terminal, could it be that other controllers supply the load first (as much as possible) and then charge battery?? I am NOT familiar with the complete circuit on different MPPT controllers, but mine and the Epever have a separate terminal outlet for LOAD. I realise that the load outlet allows for a timed control of load as nominated by user. Just grasping at straws now, but I think other controllers do not need a minimum voltage to start up. What do you think??

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
[QUOTE
Hi @Bellbirdweb , could it be that the MPPT controller needs battery voltage PLUS 5 volts to start up?? Refer my post of 12/9 on Solar Thread regarding this and the note on seller's Ebay advertising. I have no doubt that you have it connected properly, but do notice that there is NO terminal outlet on controller for load. I guess that this would mean that all power is fed to battery alone and all loads then come off battery. If there is a load terminal, could it be that other controllers supply the load first (as much as possible) and then charge battery?? I am NOT familiar with the complete circuit on different MPPT controllers, but mine and the Epever have a separate terminal outlet for LOAD. I realise that the load outlet allows for a timed control of load as nominated by user. Just grasping at straws now, but I think other controllers do not need a minimum voltage to start up. What do you think??

I wondered that as well however the PV voltage was as high as 19.8, and battery was at 12.5 so it’s more than the stated +5v required. After the first start it only requires +1v difference.

It was showing off when I first connected it up and it was shady, next day in the sun it switched to bulk charge but still no output.

The load output I understand it to provide a 12v supply rather than a battery charge, so for my purposes is what I’m looking for.

There are many different parameters which I’ve double checked an it’s all set for the correct battery chemistry as well.

I suspect it’s just a dud so will need to exchange it.

I’m getting used to that, the first inverter I got only produced 123v and I had to exchange it as well.

Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
[QUOTE

I wondered that as well however the PV voltage was as high as 19.8, and battery was at 12.5 so it’s more than the stated +5v required. After the first start it only requires +1v difference.

It was showing off when I first connected it up and it was shady, next day in the sun it switched to bulk charge but still no output.

The load output I understand it to provide a 12v supply rather than a battery charge, so for my purposes is what I’m looking for.

There are many different parameters which I’ve double checked an it’s all set for the correct battery chemistry as well.

I suspect it’s just a dud so will need to exchange it.

I’m getting used to that, the first inverter I got only produced 123v and I had to exchange it as well.

Hi @Bellbirdweb , no output showing on controller, but did battery voltage increase when on bulk charge?? Could be a read out problem on display maybe, but still not good!! Just as well you are technically aware as you are not having much luck with the items you have purchased are you? Pity the poor purchaser who gets these faulty goods and does not fully understand what is happening. On the other hand, they probably would not order these things if they did not know how to use them. Good luck in rectifying the problem. I am keen to hear how it turns out.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi @Bellbirdweb , no output showing on controller, but did battery voltage increase when on bulk charge?? Could be a read out problem on display maybe, but still not good!! Just as well you are technically aware as you are not having much luck with the items you have purchased are you? Pity the poor purchaser who gets these faulty goods and does not fully understand what is happening. On the other hand, they probably would not order these things if they did not know how to use them. Good luck in rectifying the problem. I am keen to hear how it turns out.
No I had a bit of load on the battery and it continued to fall. I also had a multimeter on the terminals and it was only reading the battery voltage.

I’m happy to play with this sort of stuff, but yes you can get caught on eBay, but I’ve always had pretty good follow up even out of the Chinese sellers getting replacements or refunds for anything that’s faulty.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
View attachment 57132 View attachment 57130

I had my 2000w projecta inverter with auto change over relay to power ALL power points in my van but have since changed it to not power hot water power point and air con as this caused issues when at a powered site and power went out with out knowing it. Power out, inverter turns on and Hot water service will drain battery very quickly.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I had my 2000w projecta inverter with auto change over relay to power ALL power points in my van but have since changed it to not power hot water power point and air con as this caused issues when at a powered site and power went out with out knowing it. Power out, inverter turns on and Hot water service will drain battery very quickly.
I have the added safety net of needing to turn on the inverter at the control panel first, so it will only be active on inverter power once I press the button, avoiding this issue.

Reactions: Base23

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I have the added safety net of needing to turn on the inverter at the control panel first, so it will only be active on inverter power once I press the button, avoiding this issue.
Sounds like a great idea as you have control. With the projecta inverter all power runs through the inverter all the time regardless if on mains or battery.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Sounds like a great idea as you have control. With the projecta inverter all power runs through the inverter all the time regardless if on mains or battery.
I strongly considered the Projecta, but hadn't thought about that problem. I just wasn't willing to pay that much for a 2000w inverter. Glad I didn't.

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
Hi @Bellbirdweb , I'm looking at getting similar setup to yours with either a projecta or redarc 2000 w inverter. Which inverter did you end up getting? There seems to be a lot of brands at eBay and a bit hard to narrow down the reliable ones hence leaning towards one of the known brands. Price is a bit on the high side:(

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi @Bellbirdweb , I'm looking at getting similar setup to yours with either a projecta or redarc 2000 w inverter. Which inverter did you end up getting? There seems to be a lot of brands at eBay and a bit hard to narrow down the reliable ones hence leaning towards one of the known brands. Price is a bit on the high side:(
@Eddii it was this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pure-Sin...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The first one I received didn't work, so I have to return it for a new one, which luckily works OK.

The reason I want for this one was the capacity (although I'm doubting if it's really 3500w, but it does run the microwave) and that it had the terminals to hard wire into the van.

Reactions: chartrock

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
So a bit more work to tidy up the Jayco rats nest at the main battery.

This is the before shot

battery before.JPG

And this is the after - much happier now :)

Battery After.jpg

I did get a new 400A shunt so I could have the inverter also being monitored by the Drifter panel, but it didnt seem to like the eBay shunt, so have have run the inverter directly from the battery and might revisit the shunt at a later date.

Now to find out why the MPPT controller has lots of pretty lights, but not charge. Could be another return to eBay seller :(

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ive got a GenPower 2500/5000 pure sine wave inverter from Edisons for under $300.

Seems to work ok; cooks micro pies for Pie Boy and runs the Princess's 2kW hairdryer (Not at the same time, regardless of our closely related pies and wet hair are)

I stole @mfexpanda's idea, in a simpler version. Inverter in the front boot, open the hatch and just run a 3mtr lead from the inveter to vans mains socket. I also have one single GPO inside the van permanently wired to the inverter for those emergency hairdrying incidents

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
IMG_1119.JPG
Ive got a GenPower 2500/5000 pure sine wave inverter from Edisons for under $300.

Seems to work ok; cooks micro pies for Pie Boy and runs the Princess's 2kW hairdryer (Not at the same time, regardless of our closely related pies and wet hair are)

I stole @mfexpanda's idea, in a simpler version. Inverter in the front boot, open the hatch and just run a 3mtr lead from the inveter to vans mains socket. I also have one single GPO inside the van permanently wired to the inverter for those emergency hairdrying incidents

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
So a bit more work to tidy up the Jayco rats nest at the main battery.

This is the before shot

View attachment 57155

And this is the after - much happier now :)

View attachment 57156

I did get a new 400A shunt so I could have the inverter also being monitored by the Drifter panel, but it didnt seem to like the eBay shunt, so have have run the inverter directly from the battery and might revisit the shunt at a later date.

Now to find out why the MPPT controller has lots of pretty lights, but not charge. Could be another return to eBay seller :(

I fitted a 200A shunt to my system when I fitted my inverter but the drifter display will still only read/display up to 100 amps

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I fitted a 200A shunt to my system when I fitted my inverter but the drifter display will still only read/display up to 100 amps
Thats good to know. I contacted Setec and they told me I could use a higher capacity shunt. They failed to mention that the drifter would not display it, so its pointless. Saved me more stuffing around, I'll just be warm in the knowledge that if the inverter is running, its pulling crap loads out of the battery :)

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I run the inverter through the 200amp shunt still so the drifter gives me some idea what the inverter is drawing. It only on the bigger loads it looses track.