Interior Internal ply roof lining removal

Ando

Apr 23, 2014
G'day everyone, hoping some can help me here. I have a 2004 expanda that has developed a sagging roof. As i don't have enough under cover area to even think about taking the roof apart from the outside , i am wanting to remove the roof panels from the inside to asertain what the issue could be...

Had anyone had any experience or have any advice as to where to start and or how the internal ply is fixed to the ceiling?

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
If it is a pop top the ceiling, insulation and outer roof are bonded together and , it is my under standing, cannot be successfully pulled apart.

Ando

Apr 23, 2014
Well that sucks!!!... @crackacoldie yep it is 2004 Freedom Expanda Pop Top. My issue is that I have a roof that is sagging in the middle and holding litres and litres of water after rain, causing me to lower it at one end constantly to empty it. Not sure if anyone has had this before an whether I can "re bend" and take out the sag without the need to replace the roof as it is quit costly.

peter h

Feb 12, 2014
I am following this with great interest, as we are in the some boat with our 2005 16 foot roof. it collects a lot water during heavy rain. not looking forward to the price on a new roof panel.
peter

Ando

Apr 23, 2014
@peter h i got a rough estimate of arojnf $7k from a local Jayco dealer. I am very much hoping i can work out a way to fix this as a diy job. So if anyone has any thoughts please chime in.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I would give Jayco head office a call, find out if yours (being a 2004 model) has the bonded roof standard
if it is, its not bonded anymore, apart from a lot of mess, it should be doable

best part would be - being able to find just where the water is getting in, and fixing it, so it wont happen again

Reactions: achjimmy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
As per @bigcol said. Not that I'd wanna do the job but the roofs are only made by mere mortals largely from timber so reconstructing one should be doable with patience , time and space?

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
You could maybe use a similar technique to repairing delaminated yacht decks.
Obviously after repairing the leak.

The technique involves drilling a pattern of evenly spaced holes from one side only and not all the way through.
When the pattern is complete, you inject epoxy resin into each hole until it appears at the adjoining hole, then repeat for each hole.
Clamp the 2 surfaces together or push one against the other in this case and leave until set.
Note try and get the surface as close to finish required prior to allowing to set as epoxy is very hard to sand.

For better instructions google west system delamination repair. Not affiliated.
I have done this successfully with a foam sandwich skiff deck.

Reactions: bigcol and achjimmy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The roof is made of timber mostly with alloy edges, if it's sagging then the bonding isn't bonding and water ingress has rotted some of the timber. No undercover wprk area, then get a sheet of form ply, cover it with builders plastic, remove the pop top and cover van with your form ply, tie it down..Then you can dismantle the pop top, probably need to rebuild the thing but going to Jayco would be last thing any sane person would do, find a reputable caravan repair mob and take the roof into them to rebuild if not possible yourself, this would save you heaps of $$$..............I would say the balsa wood they use to frame it has just rotted away or the staples fell out................they use 12mm screws thru 10mm timber to fasten something so nothing would surprise me........

In regards to insurance, well with the storms around a handy tree gently dropping on it would be a windfall......lol.

Not a downer on Jayco, this applies to most of the industry.