Chassis Interesting video from vehicle components

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I presuming the weight increase he's measuring is purely the additional force that is "compressing" (in my case) the tow ball, which is being sandwiched between the lifting force of the WDH hitch end raising the ball, and the chained tail end of the WDH forcing the vans hitch onto the ball. Basically 510 odd kg squishing the ball. ??? Is that the point ???

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
That's how I read it as well @Crusty181,
I suppose that's part of the reason that some vehicle manufacturers suggest I dont use the WDH. The additional 350kg+ of stationary force on those hitch bolts bolts is a fair workout as well, along with a significant grinding force between the hitch innards and (in my case) the tow ball.

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
Main reason why I'm shying away from WDH's. Hope everyone has seen the video and aware of the additional weight it introduces to the tow ball. This makes all cars exceed their manufacturers tow ball weight :( So be aware guys if your claiming for warranty if you have a fault around this area.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Main reason why I'm shying away from WDH's. Hope everyone has seen the video and aware of the additional weight it introduces to the tow ball. This makes all cars exceed their manufacturers tow ball weight :( So be aware guys if your claiming for warranty if you have a fault around this area.
I think yr misinterpreting the effect there @Eddii. The 510kg is sandwich pressure on the ball itself, in isolation to the downward weight force on the tow bar itself. Although I personally don't like WDH's, the original downward weight in that video will decrease from the initial 185kg, once the WDH is applied.

Reactions: Tone and twscoot

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
Oh I see, thanks @Crusty181 for clarification ;) I thought that weight does transfer somewhere beyond just at the coupling.
I thought one of the reasons why we hear snapped chassis rails was due to these force exerted by WDH along the rear end of vehicle..

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Oh I see, thanks @Crusty181 for clarification ;) I thought that weight does transfer somewhere beyond just at the coupling.
I thought one of the reasons why we hear snapped chassis rails was due to these force exerted by WDH along the rear end of vehicle..
It seems to be a relatively unknown byproduct of the WDH debate. I couldnt get my head around it either at first, watching the video. It wasnt very well explained, especially starting off talking about ball weight then launching into compression pressure without an umpires decision. I had to run through it a few time to work out what he was talking about

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
I agree, after watching the video few times it all makes sense now. Interesting fact I learned was by changing the angles of draw bar in relation to the vehicle (eg off-road terrain, approaching steep driveways) changes the force exerted in the coupling :o

Reactions: Crusty181

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We cannot use WDH or not recommended with a Land Rover Air suspension we have not had a problem with two vans "Touch Wood"
Although I do know people who do use WDH with a Land Rover and I have been told I am stupid not using it by a few people
A few manufactures also say do not use WDH I seen a few Isuzu's with snapped hitches online lately.

Honestly I know people who say you should not travel without WDH
and I know people who say you do not need it if you setup the tug/rig correctly :)
So depends who you ask they both are right :) Sorry does not help you.

Here is a article which has some negative info
http://caravanandmotorhomebooks.com/weight-distribution-hitch-setting-up/
and here is a article that says yes :)
http://www.haymanreese.com.au/download/understanding-weight-distribution-and-sway-control
and a nice video to show you why they think you should.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Ok thanks interesting viewing!
both the pro articles are either Hayman Reese or how do we say sponsored promotion :)
So yes need to work it out yourself.

Although the problem is if you need WDH for your rig to be stable and you try without maybe thats the time you really need it :)
We got ESC and only a couple of times I felt it come on normally roundabouts I did not go full around :)

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Back to hitches.. I really want to replace our 50mm hitch mainly as our steep access to backyard.
I like the McHitch auto coupling, although the ARK offroad looked good and keep the 50mm ball.
Although I know a few people who love their DO35.
I think probably be pros and cons on each. I gather there will be some at 4x4 show this weekend I might smuggle home :)

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
In the DO35 video, it stated that 50mm balls must be between 350 to 460mm from ground to centre of ball as per AS 4177
If it's NOT a ball the restriction does not apply
If you keep your ball (with the ARK) are you within the regulations?

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
In the DO35 video, it stated that 50mm balls must be between 350 to 460mm from ground to centre of ball as per AS 4177
If it's NOT a ball the restriction does not apply
If you keep your ball (with the ARK) are you within the regulations?
I would say we are fine with that although yes something to keep in mind.
I like the auto coupler although I do worry it be more of a pain with the fact air suspension and terrain we might not be the same height each time we hitch up.