Interior Installing Shelves in the Robe

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey All

Finally got around to installing some shelves into the robe on my 17.56-2 OB and thought I would post up a few pics about how I did this and also what I used.

Before
IMG_3519.JPG

There are heaps of other posts on here about how people have installed their own, some people prefer not to screw into the existing robe in case they want to remove them and leave no trace, for me shelves were always going to be installed and remain there so I went with the direct installation......

As always the "big green shed" had all that I needed so I was after some shelves, brackets and screws and ended up with the following at a total cost of $40

1 x Sheet 1800x595mm Melamine Colour board 16mm (Tibetan Oak)
3 x Carinya Bracket Angle 20x20x600x1mm
1 x Pack Screws Long-thread 8Gx16mm

So first off the colour of the melamine is not exactly the same (bit lighter) but as it is in a cupboard I think it will be fine.

Melamine (Tibetan Oak)
IMG_3526.JPG

The robe dimensions of usable space were 1100mm High, 400mm Wide & 485mm Deep. So for my installation I measured up the shelves to be about 280mm apart with a slightly smaller section at the top, this will give me 4 "equal" sections for us to use.

I cut three shelves to be 400mm wide x 485mm deep, two small cuts needs to be made in the top two right at the back to fit around the existing Jayco fixtures, but fairly easy as it was right in the back corners.

Next was the fitting of the brackets, each of the 20x20x600x1mm brackets were cut in half and I used either half as the bracket on each side of the shelf. As you can see from the pics I wanted to make sure that these were not going anywhere so I used quite a few screws on each bracket and used the slightly higher gauge screws (will be a good test on the GRR in May next year).

Brackets
IMG_3531.JPG IMG_3525.JPG IMG_3524.JPG

Brackets were all screwed in and the shelves were mounted in place, the screws were just short enough, I found that if I screwed it in and pushed a bit too much the needle end point of the screw was just "seen" on the outside, so for the rest of the screws I didn't do this :). Not an issue anyway as I am mounting some magazines holders on the outside of the robe on this wall (Not that you would even notice it is there)

And thats about it, all up for $40 we have some great shelves ready to use and took about 2-3 hours to install with some assistance from the kids........

Final Product
IMG_3528.JPG IMG_3529.JPG IMG_3527.JPG

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
What a timely post, I have the timber on the bench and just waiting for the inspiration...............my robe has thick panel on one side and thin ply on the other so trying to figure a fancy way to mount the things that a) Don't have bits showing and b) isn't a big hassle.......................thought wire rack until I saw the price so I might go 2 vertical rails on the thin side and glue them to the wall with a screw at the top of the robe to sit the shelves on with the thick side they can have horizontal rails........................

Reactions: burnsie