Installing a second battery.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi Expanders!

Just another question about your 2nd battery installation.

Is installing a second battery just as simple as connecting them with battery cable positive to positive, negative to negative, shoving them both in battery boxes and securing them down?

I called by Battery World yesterday and fired a few questions at the staff which included

1. Does the second battery have to be the same size as the first?
Answer was:- No you can put a 120 Amp Hour battery beside your 100Amp Hour and run in parallel.

2. Does it matter that my first battery is a few years old when I install my brand new second battery?
Answer was:- No, it doesn't really matter. Your old battery may only be running at 90% of its original capacity but that really doesn't matter.

3. What sort of battery should I install?
Answer was:- Install an AGM. These batteries charge up to 14.4 Volts whereas Gel batteries only go slightly above 13 Volts. Like Gel its sealed and maintenance free. AGM handle vibration better when driving, and like Gel can be charged quickly (at high amperage)

4. Do I need to change my battery charger? (Mine is a 10amp charger)
Answer was:- No, not at all. It will still charge at the same rate. You just have the ability to use more power, and if you do it'll just take longer to recharge.

Example:- If my 100amp hour battery uses 60 amps then my 10 amp charger should recharge it in 6 hours.
If my 200amp hour batteries use 60 amps then my 10 amp charger should still recharge in 6 hours.
If I use 150 amps of battery power, then it'll just take 15 hours to recharge.

I also have a 110 watt solar panel for unpowered camping that I think puts in around 6 amps through the day light. Still good for dual battery set up.

5. If my battery is 100amps, does that mean I can use the whole 100amps?
Answer was:- No. The AGM batteries are designed to take a power draw of about 80% so technically a 100 amp hour battery really only gives around 80 amps before it cuts out and needs to be recharged. Older style batteries are only really capabale of dropping to around 50% charge.

Would appreciate any feedback & advice guys!

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
There was a really good link to a camper trailer forum that showed ideal battery connection configuration to avoid certain problems. I'll see if I can find it.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi @Coastrunner, that's pretty much it with wiring batteries, however after connecting in parallel I used the negative from one battery and the positive from the other to connect to 12v and to charge from solar and setec. I did read somewhere that it is the preferred way but I'm no expert!

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Hi @Coastrunner, that's pretty much it with wiring batteries, however after connecting in parallel I used the negative from one battery and the positive from the other to connect to 12v and to charge from solar and setec. I did read somewhere that it is the preferred way but I'm no expert!

From what I have read doing this you are drawing from both batteries equally. By connecting them this way they are acting as one big battery, rather than one battery feeding another, feeding the appliances so to speak! When charging it will charge as one battery rather than charge one than equalise to the other. Apparently if you just connect them in parallel, the one connected to the load will die faster as it is charging first and power the load first.

Just what I have read from smarter people than me!!!

Reactions: blacky and Burnsy

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
Answer your first two questions, if you have two batteries in parallel they are only as strong as twice the smallest, in your case If you connect a new 120Ah battery to an old 100Ah thats lost 10% of it's life you will only have 180Ah not the 220Ah you were hoping for.

When it comes to recharging your on the right track but good battery chargers tend to back of the current when they get close to capacity, so recharge time may actually take longer than expected.