20' Series Info on aircons please.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi, am new to the forum, but always read with interest. We have ordered a 21-64 OB after selling our swan which hasd served us well since 2009. I have been researching different aircon units to go in to the expanda. At the moment we have the Coleman Mach 8 going into it, as we were told it will work great on our trips that we do north. ( we go to monkey mia in Jan and coral bay in April). We prefer going to warm/hot areas rather than cold, so the heating part isn't as important. Since they aren't cheap we don't want to make a mistake in choice. Any assistance would be appreciated greatly.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
The Colemand Mack in the one we chose for our 20.63-1 due to the caravan repair man recommending this type is more reliable and is the least likely machine on the market to fail. But for every pro there are cons. The heater is not the best though but as you can appreciate over here in WA we don't really need the heaters on very often anyway. I also carry a little heater though if required. @Smirke

Skip

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Thanks for that Skip. We had our swan aircond with a house hold wall "box" unit and we had a portable as well. (Needed to for coral bay and monkey mia! Got the camper down to 26 during the hot 40+ days n a chilly 13 at night) after googling a few units it seems that it's pretty much hit n miss. Am concerned that the Coleman will only just cool the van slightly and we'll need to have the portable as well. Do you find that it cools the bed ends as well? Someone we see in coral bay regularly has a base station and lives in it in karratha. They changed theirs over to an air command. Not sure which one, but it was big. He said it worked like a treat up their and never missed a beat. Just worried that we will make the wrong choice.
(I'm like you and carry a little blower heater ........ for the odd occasion.)

Reactions: skippy

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Congrats on the choice of van @Smirke.

We are in Sydney so heating was a definite consideration for us, so we elected to upgrade to the IBIS unit.

We've had our 21.64-1 since May so have not yet used it on cooling, but have used it several times on heating.

I'd have to say I'm not terribly impressed with its heating.

It's very noisy when the compressor cuts in and out, and the thermostat is on the control panel, and warm air blows straight into a hole in the back of panel making it cycle off way before it reaches it's set temperature.

I have tried to cover the hole which has helped a little, but I suspect the same will occur on cooling.

We ended up taking an oil filled column heater with us last trip and it was much better, and quiet.

So far I'm not seeing the value in the extra $1200 I spent on the IBIS.

Last edited:

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Thanks for that Skip. We had our swan aircond with a house hold wall "box" unit and we had a portable as well. (Needed to for coral bay and monkey mia! Got the camper down to 26 during the hot 40+ days n a chilly 13 at night) after googling a few units it seems that it's pretty much hit n miss. Am concerned that the Coleman will only just cool the van slightly and we'll need to have the portable as well. Do you find that it cools the bed ends as well? Someone we see in coral bay regularly has a base station and lives in it in karratha. They changed theirs over to an air command. Not sure which one, but it was big. He said it worked like a treat up their and never missed a beat. Just worried that we will make the wrong choice.
(I'm like you and carry a little blower heater ........ for the odd occasion.)

@Smirke We were up in Coral Bay last year when we first purchased our van and with only one end being an Expanda and the rest of the van being full height the Coleman handled the 39 degrees no worries at all. The only thing is that once you set up after travelling it does take 20 to 40 minutes to cool the van down. After that no problems at all and especially at night when it's still a chilly 25 to 30 degrees outside. :rofl:I am planning to head back up there early next year in the middle of summer, I am more than happy with the Coleman's capabilities :thumb:

Reactions: Smirke

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Ok then. Seems like we'll go the Coleman.
I was getting apprehensive given the extra outlay we had for it as I don't think it was the standard one on offer. Like you Bellbirdweb, they aren't cheap, and I don't want to be disappointed. We have asked for a few changes, but it was the fridge and aircon that had me worried the most as those we definitely wanted better suited to our family. ( those little fridges in the swan just aren't big enough for a family of 6 - thank goodness for Engels!)
We are picking it up from Melbourne in December and plan on doing a little trip to NSW and QLD before heading home, so will be wanting the aircon to be good.
Going to CB in summer Skippy, you definitely want your aircon working! It will be a great test for it. We are wait listed for April next year. But have our fingers crossed we get in. (We've gone each year for the last 7 years)
Am so very grateful to find someone who actually has one and is happy with it. Thanks.

Reactions: bigcol and skippy

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
What did you upgrade it to? Just had a look. We are getting a 186L dometic 3 way. Was considering the compressor type, but thought the 3 way would be better if we were without power. As long as the food and drinks are cold and the freezer works.....I'm happy.
Not 100% convinced on the dometic, but there wasn't much to choose from and at $1000 I'm hoping we choose well.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
@Smirke Good luck with the new van and don't forget to post some pictures up of the new hotel on wheels and I think you will be more than happy with the Coleman's cooling.
We also when for the bigger fridge and I know what you mean also about the difference in size between the swan fridge and what a 20 series fridge allows you to have . I am assuming you are getting the Dometic RM4601 it's well worth the upgrade as @Bellbirdweb mentioned.

Reactions: Smirke

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. ( and yes that is the fridge model we are getting). Will be taking heaps of pics when we get it. Kids are already planning bed swaps for the trip.

Reactions: skippy