Electrical Indicator not working

petenkaz

Jan 14, 2015
Hi all
Hoping for some advice about indicators. The left hand indicator has stopped working on our 17.58.1 Starcraft, wiggling the plug (7 pin flat) gets an intermittent result. Can anyone suggest a way to check without calling out an auto electrician? I'm thinking maybe contacts or similar might need a clean. Any assistance would be appreciated!

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
we did as duncandonuts suggested, this was OK for a while, but eventually bought a new plug, chopped a bit off the existing cable and attached the plug. Been good ever since

Reactions: petenkaz

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
depending on have confident you feel, you can check the wiring yourself - usually its because the wires get loose after awhile
also as @duncandonuts suggested, check that the 2 prongs on the male plug have a small gap between them

next possibility would be to open the female plug (van side) and check that all the wires are in and tight and not touching another wire

after that would be sitting at the rear of the car, and checking the plug there
same again, open it up and gently pull on each wire to make sure they are tight

if all of the above it ok, but the indicators are still playing up, it could be where they have joined the trailer plug to your cars wiring - thats an Auto Eleccy job if your not sure what to do

Sammy D

Feb 14, 2016
Quirindi
If it works intermittently when wriggling the plug (blinkers only work intermittently anyway but I won't include a useless joke!) then the odds are definitely in favour of it being related to the connection between the two plugs or the wiring inside either plug. We have had trouble with corrosion both in the plug connectors as well as inside the vehicle plug and we put up with it for a while but around every 2-4 years we get fed up and change the vehicle plug. Dust plus water is not a good combo especially if you are not using your trailer plug regularly.

If you do replace a plug or even if you open one up to wriggle the wires find some aerosol "battery terminal protector" (I think the one we use is a crc product but no doubt there are others and should be available at most auto stores) and coat the connections liberally, we find it really helps prevent a quick infestation of corrosion and dodgy connections.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
All the above are good possible options and common problems @petenkaz (Apart from @Sammy D 's almost joke ;) )
My timeline of events when the same issue occurred:

1. Spread pins as @duncandonuts @jeff and @bigcol suggested. (Issue may/will come back after a while)
2. Check and tighten connections as @bigcol said (On both plugs)
3. If handy with a soldering iron remove all cables and get some solder on the cables and re-terminate for a good join.
4. Once all the above are done get some terminal protector gel as @Sammy D said and coat the joins in both plugs.

petenkaz

Jan 14, 2015
Thanks all, yep I was gunna do the dad joke thing as I usually never let a chance go by!
The van gets used quite frequently, I'd say at least once a month, and has seen quite a bit of dirt roads, so perhaps that may be my culprit.
I've got mates that are good with all things electrical who can supervise my plug wiggling antics, and are handy with a soldering iron as I'm rather crap at using them. I'll report back on the progress, but in the meantime feel free to let the advice flow as I'm sure I won't be the last with this problem. I'll also google the 7 pin plugs to see what controls what and allow me to attack that first.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The pins are usually the problem and since you use it often then I would say it's how you wriggle the plug to hook/unhook, sideways wriggle to remove plug ( as we all do) closes the pins, common thing. But also check the screw connectors inside they can work loose, using tinned ends on the wires helps.

Reactions: petenkaz and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I'll also google the 7 pin plugs to see what controls what and allow me to attack that first.
just because I can, have a look at the following

7-pin- flat-connector.jpg

7-pin-round-connector.jpg

jayco_Flat 12 Pin_4.jpg

brake_controller.png

Trailer-Connector-Wiring-Diagrams.jpg

Jayco 12Pin Wiring Diagram.JPG

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
also, I just had a thought (dangerous, I know..................)

if you have been using frequently, maybe how your plugging in & un plugging the cable

most people "wiggle" the connector to get it out - not good to do, but its the only way in some cases
when you "wiggle" it, the pins get squished together - why you need to get a small screwdriver in between the pins and open them up

Reactions: Delano

petenkaz

Jan 14, 2015
Thanks bigcol, appreciate your response. I usual don't wiggle too much actually but the Andersen plug is another matter! Hopefully a painless fix, and best of all I know which pin to try first!

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Wow @bigcol thats similar to what I said in the post above, great minds think alike,lol,lol,lol..................................way back in the "anologue times" I would cut out those diagrams, cover in clear contact and stick to inside of tool box...then I graduated to print out a copy, laminate and stick inside tool box....................now in the "Digital Times" , I use my phone but still have a copy in tool box, it is a necessary part of the spares catalogue which includes a spare plug...................though I may go to the big round truck plug as these small jobs are a pain.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

petenkaz

Jan 14, 2015
Hey all, thanks for the tips. Indicators are now operating intermittently just as the maker intended. Took a small screwdriver to separate the pins. Must remember that for next time!