16' Series Ideas to solve bottoming out spare wheel carrier on driveway

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I was about to like this.......... for getting into the Playdoh's,
then you lost me on the wanting a Bitzamissing

agree with @Drover - buy a Jheep

Thanks for all the advice guys, underslung it back in November, plenty of clearance at both ends now, surprisingly the van sits quite level with the tongue flipped over and airbags up. I was anticipating having to get a higher hitch on the commy but doesnt seem to need it.

As for getting a Prado, why would I spend 40k plus to only be able to tow 300kg more than a commodore? When the Prado can tow a reasonable load for their size I might look at them, until then hopefully the commodore lasts a few more years and then a Pajero and a bigger van might be on the way!

Thanks again

Reactions: Simon and dagree

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
I reckon you have to have a PhD in mathematics to tow with some cars that claim 3t + capacity - most have "subject to" written in the fine print with all manner of calculations re weights on tow bar, overall of car, number of passengers...

At least with the Prado it's simple, don't exceed 250 on the towball and 2500 as the van GVM.

Also, my late father had a simple rule, the tug should weigh more than the van, otherwise you might get a call from Sir Issac Newton!

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Btw, the Paj is one of them, from memory max tow ball weight is 250kg when towing 2500kg or less, and 180kg when towing more than 2500kg which doesn’t make sense and prob where Isaac steps in! I don't know of any van that can achieve that light a towball weight at GVM of 2.5t +

Reactions: bigcol