I find it hard to believe.....

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
I find it hard to believe that I am the only Jayco camper owner out there. Well, actually I have paid for it but not picked it up yet. Any one with any experience of towing and touring with one of them?
Mine is a Jayco Swift with annexe and flys. My towing vehicle is a 2010 Mitsubishi Challenger, manual and diesel. I am a wee bit nervous as the Swift seems a bit wider than the Challenger. Not much but a bit. I was concerned enough to go down and measure the width of the Jayco. My drive way is 2800 mm and the Swift came in at 2160.
Any tips, hints are other such comments are most welcome. It is over 20n years since I had a caravan of any kind. That was a 20 footer.
Stan - VK3BOT

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Stan,

I'm sure if you used to tow a 20' van you'll be fine, the swift is probably about the same width anyway. A good towing mirror or 2 and just take it easy till you get used to it. It's like riding a bike mate, it won't take you long to get the hang of again. :)

Cheers.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Yes, just give plenty of brake room in front of you and take it slow. We tow all day every day for work so we see it all. Just watch out for those pesky little red car P platers that try to squeeze into your braking gap just before the lights go red!

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Just watch out for those pesky little red car P platers that try to squeeze into your braking gap just before the lights go red!

I find they also like to wait until all of the following criteria are met before they attempt to overtake you;

1. You must be doing the posted speed limit.
2. There must be double solid lines.
3. You must be approaching a bend.
4. You must be approaching a blind crest.
5. The road must be busy.

You also get bonus points if:

1. You can do it driving towards the setting / rising sun.
2. Your vehicle is unroadworthy.
3. You are texting / talking on your life support machine (I think these aliens call them mobile phones).

Added to that, none of these cretins can drive; I reckon most of them think Apex is a social club!

I give up and I'm only 46!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I find they also like to wait until all of the following criteria are met before they attempt to overtake you;

1. You must be doing the posted speed limit.
2. There must be double solid lines.
3. You must be approaching a bend.
4. You must be approaching a blind crest.
5. The road must be busy.

You also get bonus points if:

1. You can do it driving towards the setting / rising sun.
2. Your vehicle is unroadworthy.
3. You are texting / talking on your life support machine (I think these aliens call them mobile phones).

Added to that, none of these cretins can drive; I reckon most of them think Apex is a social club!

I give up and I'm only 46!

Finally.
Someone understands....

:clap2::amen:

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
I've recently purchased a Flamingo outback too Stan and should be picking it up in 8 weeks or so.