I can't believe this forum exists

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi All,
My partner Simone and I have had an expanda since around June 2010. Since then we have done a lot of short trips around Victoria and my new found hobby has been numerous mods on the expanda. The latest request I had from Simone was to research replacing the foam mattress with some other option. I started on the job immediately with an initial google to research options as I always do and could not believe my eyes when I stumbled across this forum for the first time.
I look forward to reading your posts and contributing where I can.

Brad

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Good on you, Brad, and welcome. :thumb: There are a number of threads on mattresses and foam overlays on the forum.

I'm sure all members will look forward to reading about your mods on the Expanda. Post away with photos, please. :dance:

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Expanda model is 16.49.1b and we tow with a 2008 Pathfinder ST Diesel.
We purchased ours at the caravan show in Melbourne after doing months of research. We have been lucky in that both our parents were already seasoned caravaners. So we observed the good, the bad and the limit of the bank savings and purchased an expanda with a lot of options.
We opted not to go for the outback model back then as the extent of off road we thought we would do would be something like sheep yard flats. I would have no issues pulling the caravan down there.
But reading this forum and especially cruza drivers posts of adventures could easily see us upgrade to an outback model in years to come.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Good combo Brad, and Sheepyard is a great place in the off peak :thumb: we have been there countless times, as well as passing through there to explore the HC

TweedTravellers

Jan 27, 2012
Gold Coast (NSW side)
Hi Brad
We have just joined this forum and have found heaps of useful info on things we have been researching such as whether to get two gas bayonet fittings, bike racks etc. We ordered our expandas with innerspring mattresses which husband and kids find very comfortable but I have had a bad back since being pregnant with twins so we also ordered a 5cm thick custom size latex mattress topper from Zentai living at Byron Bay NSW(I think they courier everywhere but I bet there would be plenty of similiar places to order from in VIC).

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi and welcome to the forum!!
Yeah we had a topper also and it is soooo comfortable. But what we find is that the foam starts to remember your laying position when sleeping in the van for more than a week. Mind you, both my partner and I are 6ft so there is probably a bit of weight distributed over the foam.
Congratulations on your pregnancy. Twins you say. I have often wondered what scenario is better. I have 4 kids aging between 16 months to 13 years. At least you have a definite date (give or take a few months) where you cease to need nappies any more. A comforting thought for sure.

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Hi Brad and welcome. :cheer2:The eggshell overlays is what we used for 4 years in our old van. They are still going strong. Buy a good one (not from Kmat etc) from a bedding store or wholesaler and cut it to fit. Ours was perfect and we use to just roll it up and tie it and then stuff it next to beds when closed up. No hassle. Our new van has innersprings and if we had to pay we would have just used our trusty eggshell but they were thrown in with the deal. Hope it helps. Jenny