18' Series HWS leaking water fittings

Scottfree

Jul 2, 2015
Newcastle
While checking the battery's today I noticed water pooling below the hot water system and in the foam casing around the HWS.
Water appeared rusty so I assumed the worst a hole in the tank
On closer inspection found a slight seep coming from the upper (hot water)fitting.
The fittings which were installed had a plastic washer/sleeve which fitted between the fitting and the tank creating a seal
Due to the heat from the tank this plastic washer has melted causing the leak
After checking install instructions and speaking with the local caravan workshop it was advised these fittings are common to leaking and shouldn't be used on Hws tanks
I since installed a NPT (taper thread fitting) which seals on the thread not the shoulder of the fitting and doesn't require washers.

Something people may want to keep an eye out for as some times the leak thru these sweeting fittings drys up as it runs down the side of the tank leaving a rust stain on out side of tank
best way to check for minor leak is to feel under the fittings (with WHS off and cold)

image.jpg
Old fittings one on the right was on hot outlet the plastic washer had melted leaving brass discoloured
The one on the left was the cold inlet slightly melted slightly damaged (not yet leaking)
image.jpg
New fittings tapered thread with PTFE tape