How to watch movies on the HDD of foxtel box?

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
HI guys,

Have been fiddling around with this over the last couple of days, the foxtel IQ box that is.

Was wandering if I could record/download movies into the fox box and then take the box away with me and use it as a media player, Im figuring since Ive already paid for the content it all OK with the legalities etc etc but who knows.

Seems that you can disconnect the 2 antenna cables and the LAN cable and watch the movies on the HDD BUT you have to leave the unit powered on. If you turn off the unit and power it up again it comes up with the "satellite not found" error message and will not let you go any further so obviously not a goer.

Anyone else had a play with this idea? Any success?

Cheers
Mike

Oct 22, 2013
Mount Cotton QLD
Sorry can't help but did just purchase a wd live media player and a 12 volt socket lead supplied by jay car and it worked perfectly on 12 volt and played any file I threw at it on my hard drive.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
@Mike7

I would imagine that anything you have recorded to you IQ will be able to be replayed on the TV in the van, but I doubt that there is a way to copy movies up to it and effectively use it as a Media Player for non-recorded programs.

We just have the Sphere TV Jayco "bundle" with their vans. Has a USB port on it - all we do it take a hard drive full of movies.

Works a treat. 1TB 2.5" drive in a case - $85. Bargain - Wife & Kids very Happy. :D

If your TV does not have a USB port, then look at buying a Western Digital Media Player as suggested by @White knuckles.

Last edited:

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
From past experence with foxtel at home, you "CAN NOT" replay anything you have recorded to the IQ box unless you have satelite connection, sounds dumb but that's the way it works.