No Options Apply How to handle a tyre blowout

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
How to handle a blowout, from research done by the Michelin tyre company. Its something that has often popped into my head, particularly when I have my family on board and the potentially unpredictable 3ton box dragging along behind. I suspect most people have seen the first video, but its the second Michelin inspired video that I would suggest every caravaner should be studying. Was certainly an eye opener for me

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Interesting vid. I can see myself not hitting the brakes but accelerating not sure ?

Interesting at the start, most blow outs are overloading or low pressures . Another endorsement of TPMS imo you’ll pickup over loading thru temps and under inflation is obvious .

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Having been thru numerous tyre failures I can assure you no two are the same front or rear, a steer blows and can drag you off into the table drain or just suddenly get a shaking of the wheel where a rear goes explosively and it just flops to the ground with a lot of smoke and flying rubber or can cause the back end to wander away.............................worst are the big blammo ones they scare the crap out of you .................have had tread come away, flapping across the road like a big snake but the case stayed up..............single axle trailers are the worry as one's reaction with a quick blow out is usually too late to do any good.........

It's always wise when you get off the tar for something coming towards you to place your wheels a foot or so off the road, trying to hug the edge of the tar can do damage to the sidewalls, get off the edge completely, may throw more rocks but the tyres cop less damage.

In the days of split rims a front blow out as I was stopping sent the rim flying into a fibro wall of a building, luckily the frame stopped it going inside, scary stuff.

Most times I suspect a slow leak has ended up as a tyre shred or heat blow out on the trucks where as recently a 25mm stake into the tyre, instant flat and by the time I had stopped the inside of the tyre was cactus, outside looked good though flat but inside was full of rubber dust balls from a 100yds flat run, at speed it would have shredded into a million pieces.

Braking Ive always tried to pull up with gears until I'm slow enough to brake to a gentle stop, others the mud in the table drain did the trick...............

Smell is a dead set sign of an underflated bit of rubber, sniff when you do a walk around but you do need to stop every so often to do so.

Good vids @Crusty181