Exterior How to get a caravan cover on

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Hello to the brains trust.

I am about to tow the van back into storage and want to throw a cover on it to protect it from the sun, etc.

As it's the full Expanda van and the OutBack model (not a Pop top), it stands at a little over 3m high.

Any tips and trips on how to get the cover on? I have a brand new cover (still in the box) sitting in the garage so will give it a try at home first, but after tips, tricks or hints to save frustration.

Cheers in advance.

mime_perth

Nov 4, 2017
Perth WA
Well - Ive only done mine twice - Outback but pop top. Mines an Adco cover and the intructions said to roll up inside out from back to front stand on the roof pull the cover onto the roof then roll it out. Clearly I wasnt going to walk on the fragile Jayco poptop roof so I rolled it up inside out threw it onto the roof from a ladder then rolled/flicked it whilst unrolling towards the back of the van from the ladder with a soft bristle broom and let the sides find their own way down the sides. Seemed to work well and was done in 10 or so minutes.

Reactions: Macca_75

Ben Sweetnam

Oct 17, 2017
Sydney
I just put mine back on yesterday and 2 of us struggled - i used a broom to get it over the AC but i need to refine my craft as we nearly got divorced over it.... (Starcraft 17.58-3)

Reactions: chartrock

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
A whisper I heard was to grab some lengths of PVC and put an end cap on it. 2 x 1.5m lengths (per side) screwed together are cheap and lightweight pole that is high enough to pull the cover on and when broken down can be stored in PVC pipe with the anit flap kits (or so I am to confirm).

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Since doing it this way, I have lived in married bliss...

Try this @Macca_75 .

I can do the whole thing myself except taking it off (see below).

1. Spread the cover out on the ground with the top facing up. Get the roof section rectangular and flat. Make sure you know which end will end up the front.

(Note you will not need to do steps 1-3 again).

2. Fold in the sides, front and back so they lie effectively on top of what you have just laid out. (Don't worry if it looks a bit untidy. The main thing is to get the roof section reasonably flat).

3. Get a piece of timber that is about 2.5m long (I use a piece of decking) and lie it across the front section.

4. Roll the entire cover onto the timber. You will end up with a sausage roll with a piece of timber sticking out each end.

5. Put the sausage roll across the rear the van (I use a ladder)

6. Now simply roll out the sausage roll towards the front of the van. I usually just stand the ladder one side of the van and roll it over the solar, air cond etc. I can usually do it in three goes - gently rolling out across the roof - just gently lever it across the lumpy bits.

7. Once the cover is in place, pull down the front, rear and sides.
Voila!

8. To remove - so you never have to do steps 1-3 again - pull up the rear section of the cover the throw it onto the roof.

9. With your other half standing at the draw bar holding one end of the timber, gently pull the cover towards the front of the van rolling it onto the timber. Roll the timber up the front of the van and pull section down at a time. If it catches on anything, I use a broom to push it up.

10. Voila! Sausage roll ready to go back onto the rear of the van when you get home!

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.

The secret to marriage bliss cannot be this easy - surely.

But I do love the concept - may have the try tonight. I do carry a ladder (like this one - Aluminum_Folding_ladder_stick_ladder_step_ladder.jpg ) in the pole carrier - I think it will be high enough for me to do this and then throw back into the carrier.

If it all works out the sausage could be transported in the van on the pole, bought out and put on. Then when removed, thrown in the van until I get it home and left in the garage floor (as the garage is blocked from use when the van is in the drive anyway.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria

Try this @Macca_75 .

I can do the whole thing myself except taking it off (see below).

1. Spread the cover out on the ground with the top facing up. Get the roof section rectangular and flat. Make sure you know which end will end up the front.

(Note you will not need to do steps 1-3 again).

2. Fold in the sides, front and back so they lie effectively on top of what you have just laid out. (Don't worry if it looks a bit untidy. The main thing is to get the roof section reasonably flat).

3. Get a piece of timber that is about 2.5m long (I use a piece of decking) and lie it across the front section.

4. Roll the entire cover onto the timber. You will end up with a sausage roll with a piece of timber sticking out each end.

5. Put the sausage roll across the rear the van (I use a ladder)

6. Now simply roll out the sausage roll towards the front of the van. I usually just stand the ladder one side of the van and roll it over the solar, air cond etc. I can usually do it in three goes - gently rolling out across the roof - just gently lever it across the lumpy bits.

7. Once the cover is in place, pull down the front, rear and sides.
Voila!

8. To remove - so you never have to do steps 1-3 again - pull up the rear section of the cover the throw it onto the roof.

9. With your other half standing at the draw bar holding one end of the timber, gently pull the cover towards the front of the van rolling it onto the timber. Roll the timber up the front of the van and pull section down at a time. If it catches on anything, I use a broom to push it up.

10. Voila! Sausage roll ready to go back onto the rear of the van when you get home!

Wow I like this suggestion, need to give it a go!

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Extendable pool pole plus extendable paint pole, or anything similar.

Stick poles in either front or rear two corners.

Have one person on each pole.

Lift up a good meter over top of roof and walk together to the other end.

I quicker walk / run makes the cover balloon up a little which helps clear a/c or antenna etc.

When we first got our van we struggled with the other ways of unrolling on the roof etc and it was hard work, now putting the cover on would take less then 5 mins including running straps under etc. someone showed us this technique at a van storage place we used while moving house and have never looked back.

Reactions: G Daddy and Delano

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
Hi @Macca_75 I use a larger ladder to put my cover on. I do kneel on the side edges of the van roof and reach across to the center. I can guarantee when I put it on the wind will come from nowhere and help... blow it off as I move the ladder around the other side. Most of the time I am by myself too. My cover after 2 1/2 years has ripped from sharp edges like corners of van and solar panel on roof and me sliding the slide out whilst cover is on.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
My ADCO cover (full height van) instructions say to use to tent poles with the spigot on top, place spigot through brass eyelets on each side of the front end of the cover, using 2 people starting from the rear lift and drag the cover over,
YEAH RIGHT!
While it does work it's very difficult due to weight you really need a 3rd person to feed the cover up the rear of the van, you also need to lift high enough to clear the A/C unit, probably why my cover spends more time off the van than on. Because the better half doesn't have the physical strength to help with the lift/drag
I'm going to give the sausage method a go, I use to do this with the Panda pop top all on my own.

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
We had a pan Aldi cover and found eyelets on the bottom of the wall. I bought a couple of cheap extendable tent poles and my wife and I lift the cover over the aircon and antenna using the poles to fit the leading edge. It takes a little coordination and we carry the poles for other uses.

Reactions: Macca_75 and Delano

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
All great advice. I tried the sausage method and it worked for me! the only problem is that the cover is a bit tight over the bed ends. If it protects the van, I am happy

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We used to try all of the techniques talked about in the other posts, but all of them we difficult on a full height 21 foot van.

Now I just climb up on the roof, drag it up one side and throw the he sides over.

Takes a fraction of the time and I can do it my myself.

The roof is fine to walk on just need to dodge the various items up there.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
We used to try all of the techniques talked about in the other posts, but all of them we difficult on a full height 21 foot van.

Now I just climb up on the roof, drag it up one side and throw the he sides over.

Takes a fraction of the time and I can do it my myself.

The roof is fine to walk on just need to dodge the various items up there.
If you don't mind my asking, how much do you weigh approx.? I am pushing close to 100Kg's and seeing how the rest of the van is put together am very nervous about setting foot on the van.