Exterior How to drill holes in your panda?

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
I've wondered this for ages..... So let's say I want to attach a fitting to the outside of the caravan using screws for a TV mount. How do I go about doing this without damaging the van or allowing water into the wall?

What about on an inside wall?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
How do I go about doing this without damaging the van or allowing water into the wall?
Use a sharp drill with minimal pressure while drilling..... I also use masking tape on the fibreglass to help prevent scratches and chipping.
Also use sikaflex, or similar, in the holes prior to screwing in whatever you are fitting. (Also helps with holding things in position).

What about on an inside wall?
Same as above!

what about the roof? I need to install a CO detector
When I fitted our detector and shower track I found that the roof (ceiling) was soft enough to use screws without needing to drill a hole!
Or as @Bellbirdweb said..... Double sided tape is good if you don't want to drill holes everywhere.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If it's not a heavy item internally then double sided tape, if you must screw, then glue and screw as for the most part there isn't much meat in the timber inside. The walls are really Hollowform styro in a thin ply sandwich and as the others have said I used Sikaflex and a screw to hold stuff up.............the floor only use 10mm screws from underneath or you will come thru your vinyl floor.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Cross section of wall to see what you have to grip on to? All 3 mm of ply. If fiberglass you have a second lamination instead of the alloy cladding to the right.

image.jpeg

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
CO is only 3% lighter than normal air and the detector should be lower down, not necessarily on the ceiling but more centrally placed lik on a wall.
Check this article.
http://www.jaymarinspect.com/carbon-monoxide-detector.html

Whist the article is correct, CO in caravans is produced via combustion of LPG which is hot, and as a result it goes up high and then settles/mixes with the surrounding air.

Mounting them on the ceiling will still work in most cases.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
But if it's wafting in thru a window ??????

Because it does just that, wafts, it may or may not be detected on either wall or ceiling, but it's also not likely that it will be in sufficient concentration to be harmful in that case.

It's a bit of an inexact science, but suffice to say it's a good idea to have a CO detector and mount it in the top half of the interior.

If there is a harmful buildup the alarm should detect it.

If all of the factory installed vents are clear, then it's unlikley to occur in the first place.

Last edited: