Exterior How do you hold your awning down

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Howdy all, what methods are there for holding/tying the awning down once it has been unclipped form the van? Is it as simple as looping the rope around the awning barrel and pegging down?

Reactions: Marv_mart

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
Gi day , @axl and welcome.

i swing the legs down and peg, also have a privacy screen that slides into the barrel and i peg that down. if its windy, i add the ropes to the barrel.'

hope this helps, as I'm new to the awning thing, having only used it a few times.

Reactions: Axl

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Here's what I do.

I never unclip the base from the van. The triangulation achieved by leaving the foot attached to the van has inherent strength. I was told this when I first bought the van and although it is tempting to unclip the legs and peg them down, I haven't.

Then I use one guy rope each end pegged with a reasonable size peg.

The rope I use has a small carabina attached which I loop around each end of the barrel. Makes for quick attaching and detaching. At the peg end I have a metal spring to provide tension.

6 + years of all sorts of weather and this has never let me down.

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Here's what I do.

I never unclip the base from the van. The triangulation achieved by leaving the foot attached to the van has inherent strength. I was told this when I first bought the van and although it is tempting to unclip the legs and peg them down, I haven't.

Then I use one guy rope each end pegged with a reasonable size peg.

The rope I use has a small carabina attached which I loop around each end of the barrel. Makes for quick attaching and detaching. At the peg end I have a metal spring to provide tension.

6 + years of all sorts of weather and this has never let me down.

Thanks for the info guys and girls, @twscoot I thought that the awning would be stronger still attached to the van but I want to put a porch on the front of it using the antiflap kit to make the undercover area a bit longer. So I will be removing the front leg only in most cases and roping and pegging it down, sounds like a rope straight around the barrel will be fine.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I prefer the porch setup as camping on the beach with some realy strong winds I feel that this set up is alot stronger for the setup we have. I too just run rope around the barrel and then peg the legs to the ground and then put on the Aussie Travlers on the Awning and then run the shad cloth on the Aussie travellers then peg the shad cloth to the ground and never had a problem yet...

Look at my post here on the beach might make it easyer to understand >>>
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/th...ur-tow-vehicle-set-up.1226/page-12#post-74585

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@axl Looping a rope around the barrel is fine. But we use a couple of stainless loops that hook into the slot of the barrel and "supposedly" helps keep tension on the barrel ratchet?
When stopped for a short stopover we leave the arms connected to the van but when on longer stopovers we swing the legs down as @Colin&Sue do and use
large tent pegs to hold them in position as we set up the full annexe.
If the winds look bad we have a couple of heavy duty spiral pegs and use them with ratchet tie-down straps.
Will look for pics after I reboot this POS computer and post them ;)

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Here's the pic of the stainless loops....

Awning Clips.JPG

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
All of my ropes and pegs will go with the C/T when I sell it so I am planning on doing some shopping:). I dont need any where as much as I did with the C/T but I want to buy 6 or so sets of decent ropes, pegs and springs that I can leave in the front boot. The porch i've ordered has its own poles and ropes, I will grab a few of those spiral pegs as well for when the ground is a bit soft. I've seen those clips on the forum some where @dagree I might grab a set of them as well.:D

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Howdy all, what methods are there for holding/tying the awning down once it has been unclipped form the van? Is it as simple as looping the rope around the awning barrel and pegging down?
I now use Clarry's awning clips and the tie down ropes, twin ropes per corner.
They can be put on before or after any annexe or shade wall has been fitted.
image.jpg image.jpg
Beware of cheap imitations, Clarrie's are Stainless Steel and hand made! Worth it.
Saw cheap 'copies' and they were rough, Al, didn't fit properly.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clarries..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item41886f595a&_uhb=1
Hope this is useful

Last edited:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@axl Looping a rope around the barrel is fine. But we use a couple of stainless loops that hook into the slot of the barrel and "supposedly" helps keep tension on the barrel ratchet?
When stopped for a short stopover we leave the arms connected to the van but when on longer stopovers we swing the legs down as @Colin&Sue do and use
large tent pegs to hold them in position as we set up the full annexe.
If the winds look bad we have a couple of heavy duty spiral pegs and use them with ratchet tie-down straps.
Will look for pics after I reboot this POS computer and post them ;)

I use the same clips and method as @dagree and find they work really well. I leave the clips attached all the time, so its just a matter of attaching the ropes and pegging them down.

Reactions: dagree and Axl

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Those clips are flash,,,,,,,
,I usually drop one leg down near the door as we are sick of ducking if we have the extra screen up, the leg is pegged down, side screen pegged down and if it looks like it might get windy add 2x spring rope from the awning barrel, I spliced an extra big loop in the rope so it's easy to feed the end in.
So in the end it has about 20 pegs in the ground and if the wind blows hard enough the van will probably flip as it's not pegged down, just the awning.

benrosenick

Nov 26, 2013
Sydney, NSW
www.bushpalace.com.au
I now use Clarry's awning clips and the tie down ropes, twin ropes per corner.
They can be put on before or after any annexe or shade wall has been fitted.
View attachment 29346 View attachment 29347
Beware of cheap imitations, Clarrie's are Stainless Steel and hand made! Worth it.
Saw cheap 'copies' and they were rough, Al, didn't fit properly.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clarries..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item41886f595a&_uhb=1
Hope this is useful

+1 for clarries clips, that's what I use. Have also seen a strop that's goes around the barrel, might be from caravans plus or similar.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I too use Clarrie's clips on my awning.
Depending on where we are I will remove the arms from the van to allow for easier access into the van if coming in from the front.
I will always peg it down with a guy rope when needed from the clip.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
image.jpg Here's how I did ours, all stainless steel. The clip on the end of the double ropes makes it quick and easy to attatch, if I roll the awning out the ropes go on!

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
We went looking for clips when we were in Warrnambool, however a guy at a 4x4 shop we went into steered us into bunning to get 2 rubberised occy straps. That way, we can quickly put it away if needed. We tried them out and they work a treat. Just put them over the tube bit (where people have put the clips) with the led lights on and use some guy ropes to peg into the ground. Solid as a rock.

Reactions: Burnsy and dagree