18' Series Hot Water Service and Aircon query

Macpower

Nov 10, 2013
Hi All,

I have been lurking around this site for a couple of months now and have found a wealth of info on the Expanda's.

We have finally bit the bullet and bought a 2011 18.57-6 and it is probably because of this forum that we settled on this van. As of this moment we don't have the van as it needs to be picked up from interstate. I have a million questions but I would really like this one sorted before we officially go ahead with our purchase. The current owner of the van has informed us that the shower runs for approximately 5 mins before running out of hot water. It then takes approx 10-15 mins to heat the tank again. Is this normal? I would have expected the hot water to be continuous as it runs on gas.

Was also wondering if the Coleman Mach (roof mounted) is a heater and air conditioner or just an air conditioner. Here's hoping someone can shed some light on these questions for me. Thanks in advance.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi Macpower
Welcome aboard, can't help with the A/C but with the hot water it's a 23 ltr tank system, non continuous so yes it has to re-heat about 10 min on gas, we've managed to get 2 showers out of it before it kicks in again, but in saying that I have drained it in one shower.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I think you may have confused hot water running on gas.
There are two types of hot water services in a van.
1. The type that has a tank and the water is heated via electric or gas.
2. The type that has no tank and heats via gas immediately. Ie: instant hot water.
I would be surprised if you did not have the tank version. So yes short showers!! That said, if you don't have the hot water on full throttle then the shower will last a bit longer.
If you run the tank out the it takes about 15 mins to reheat.

Macpower

Nov 10, 2013
Thanks Bushman and Brad. We have just had conflicting reports on the hot water service. The local Jayco dealer just told us today that it was basically continuous and shouldn't run out. Hence the confusion and the reason I have asked people who have one. Just as long as it is normal and there is nothing wrong with it. Short showers coming up alright!!!

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Thanks Bushman and Brad. We have just had conflicting reports on the hot water service. The local Jayco dealer just told us today that it was basically continuous and shouldn't run out. Hence the confusion and the reason I have asked people who have one. Just as long as it is normal and there is nothing wrong with it. Short showers coming up alright!!!

I think that dealer should learn his product, they are definately "NOT" continuous, Jayco use the "Suburban" brand most common in vans, Truma is another also a tank system, though no anoid to worry about as they have stainless steel tanks.
there is however a new system that is gas only and is continuous, if mine ever craps itself I'll look at these.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hello and welcome @Macpower, great choice of van ;). Believe it or not we've actually had 4 showers in a row but you need to use sparingly, turning off water between soaping up etc. With the air con, I'm sure it heats via an element not reverse cycle, but yes it will do both heat and cool. Enjoy and post up some pics when you pic her up!
Cheers.​

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Gday and welcome, @Macpower, just shoot away with all those questions, nothing to silly to ask. Members here will answer you so promptly it really is not funny.

We've gone from Swan to 17'' and have learnt so much from this site, from tow vehicle set up, loading van, maintaining, modifiying (to suit our needs).

Just as the replys above, i second them. Cheers Pace.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
They dont seem like short showers to us. We do the kids (*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring*) one after the other, but keep them short for convenience. My wife and I shower at different times, or just wait 15 minutes between each other so there is a hot tank waiting. I've never run out of hot water as my shower isn't comfortable enough to wait it out!

Reactions: blacky

Macpower

Nov 10, 2013
Thanks @Burnsy and @Pace. This is our first caravan and are upgrading from a tent trailer that took hours to set up and pack up, so to say we are a bit excited is an understatement!!!!

Lots of my questions have already been answered just by reading this forum, but I'm sure there will be a million more once we pick it up. Will definitely post some pics when we eventually get it.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hello and welcome @Macpower, great choice of van ;). Believe it or not we've actually had 4 showers in a row but you need to use sparingly, turning off water between soaping up etc. With the air con, I'm sure it heats via an element not reverse cycle, but yes it will do both heat and cool. Enjoy and post up some pics when you pic her up!
Cheers.​
Don't know how you do it @Burnsy turning taps on and off like that....

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Cheers.​

With our shower we manage to have all five of us through it no worries. I like a warm shower where wifey likes the water steaming hot. We have never run out of hot water. We normally turn the water off when soaping the kids up, so it probably has a chance to recover then.