Hot water retrofit

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
Hi ALL

I wish I had the hot water option installed to the expanda when built, and am now wondering what retrofit options there are and if they are easy enough to install?

We have the 16.49-4 2013 model.

cheers sledge

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
Sorry I can't really comment on how hard it is to DIY, But When I brought my van new off the lot I optioned up for the HWS & they installed it no problem for basically the cost of purchasing the unit to do it myself.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Like CJ1177, I couldn't comment on DIY, but reckon fitting a gas/mains SUBURBAN would be a fairly straight forward job for one of the Jayco Service/Parts places.
I often free camp and nearly aways use mine on gas, so I would personally stay clear of straight 240v DOMETIC models unless you never (never intend to) free camp.
Ring one or two of the Jayco places for a quote (Prestige Geelong or Bendigo; Page Bros, Seaford; Jayco Bayswater, etc.) Have the discussion as to where it will fit best and where the SWITCH will be located.
395749957.394669.png

Units are around the $800 retail, but I've also seen them on sale cheaper. Jayco would get them for quite a bit less I reckon and after market fitting/240 & 12v electrics/gas/plumbing is best left to qualified tradies.
Now (winter)would be a good time when they seen to be a bit quieter.
Really worth it for the sheer convenience of on demand hot water even when free camping. Add to your resale value of your Expanda, so it's a sound investment.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Hi Sledge, I have the same van and have been thinking of doing the same thing. I have installed the outside shower and already done the hot and cold plumbing for it. The problem is the weight of the hws will add to the weight of the van. It depends where you are going to take your van. If you are just going to parks and you have 240V, Truma make an electric unit which would be really easy to put in. Suburban will be heavy, I have been thinking of the Girard instant gas unit recently approved for Australia.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Girard-I...Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19de85725d

As it does not store water it will be lighter, no anodes to worry about and will only heat water on demand. I would worry with an instant electric unit that I would take out the parks power supply:o .

Attachments

• mPKTitmN0e_Iodns77vnhJw.jpg
    mPKTitmN0e_Iodns77vnhJw.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 376

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Brad,

The description on ebay says it uses similar amount or less gas than the suburbans, sounds good if true.

$850 in Oz, $460 in the US, really makes you wander.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Cost=Unit plus approvals in Australia. I am happy to wear the cost seeing it is approved for use in Australia. Regarding cost to run Brad, continuous flow units always use less gas than storage, but being continuous flow, people tend to use more hot water than they need because they can, therefore you can use more gas so you have to be sensible. The old saying when comparing storage to continuous, "would you boil the kettle all day for two cups of coffee!" Anyway, still have not decided what way to go.

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
Like CJ1177, I couldn't comment on DIY, but reckon fitting a gas/mains SUBURBAN would be a fairly straight forward job for one of the Jayco Service/Parts places.
I often free camp and nearly aways use mine on gas, so I would personally stay clear of straight 240v DOMETIC models unless you never (never intend to) free camp.
Ring one or two of the Jayco places for a quote (Prestige Geelong or Bendigo; Page Bros, Seaford; Jayco Bayswater, etc.) Have the discussion as to where it will fit best and where the SWITCH will be located.
View attachment 15735
Units are around the $800 retail, but I've also seen them on sale cheaper. Jayco would get them for quite a bit less I reckon and after market fitting/240 & 12v electrics/gas/plumbing is best left to qualified tradies.
Now (winter)would be a good time when they seen to be a bit quieter.
Really worth it for the sheer convenience of on demand hot water even when free camping. Add to your resale value of your Expanda, so it's a sound investment.
Yep I like the idea of a a gas model, so im assuming this is an instantaneous and doesnt require a storage cylinder?

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
Hi Sledge, I have the same van and have been thinking of doing the same thing. I have installed the outside shower and already done the hot and cold plumbing for it. The problem is the weight of the hws will add to the weight of the van. It depends where you are going to take your van. If you are just going to parks and you have 240V, Truma make an electric unit which would be really easy to put in. Suburban will be heavy, I have been thinking of the Girard instant gas unit recently approved for Australia.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Girard-I...Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19de85725d

As it does not store water it will be lighter, no anodes to worry about and will only heat water on demand. I would worry with an instant electric unit that I would take out the parks power supply:o .
Is the install of the outside shower and plumbing fairly straight forward?

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I posted a report about it over summer.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/macayaks-16-49-4-mods.2132/
It depends on where you want to put the shower assembly. You also need to be careful of where your power supply inlet is as you need to keep water away from it. My power is towards the rear so I decided to put the shower where the cold water inlet housing was and also because all the pipes were close by (front). I am a plumber so the pipework is easy for me, the pipe system Jayco use is very easy to use (John Guest style). Wish it was that easy when I was an apprentice! More nerve racking cutting into the van for the first time.

As stated above, always get advice from qualified tradies when required.

Geoff

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Cost=Unit plus approvals in Australia. I am happy to wear the cost seeing it is approved for use in Australia. Regarding cost to run Brad, continuous flow units always use less gas than storage, but being continuous flow, people tend to use more hot water than they need because they can, therefore you can use more gas so you have to be sensible. The old saying when comparing storage to continuous, "would you boil the kettle all day for two cups of coffee!" Anyway, still have not decided what way to go.

yeah well I can tell you now that the showers would get longer in our household....

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Yep I like the idea of a a gas model, so im assuming this is an instantaneous and doesnt require a storage cylinder?
No, it's a very efficient 22 litre insulated storage model with a porcelaine lined steel pressure tank made in USA. Thats the whole unit in the pic I posted. You don't need to leave it on all the time of course, that's why the switch location is important. I turn on when I get up, and off again after all the washes and dishes done. On again when starting dinner and off at bedtime. Haven't had an issue with it at all with auto ignition system. Heats in about 15 mins and maintains temp automatically.
I run dual 8kg bottles and get at least 21 days running the big fridge, hws and little bit of cooking all on gas
Water use rather than gas use is the issue. Experience & water conservation awareness for caravan showers helps.
Unit itself is not that heavy but then you need to factor in the 22kg of (extra) water.