17' Series Hi ordered the 17.56.1 OB today!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
They are very trained in the art of Aldi specials it seems. Was around 20 there when I got there yesterday. They knew how to use the trolley to block you going past them :) Lucky its our local store so I navigated around them and actually ran :) Covers where gone in 5 minutes

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
Gee I can't say I have ever had to battle a set of grey nomads in a rush for something. The images it conjures up in my mind are making me chuckle.

I'm told it was like the Myer Xmas sales but slower and more polite:bolt:

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
I'm told it was like the Myer Xmas sales but slower and more polite:bolt:
More polite.....that's sometimes questionable at our 2 Aldi stores in Bundaberg. Everyone appears to be on a mission and elbows and shoving is the call of the day.
Don't get in the road of a bargain hunter, they will mow you down and pull a rude face at you.
The old Aldi Saturday specials brings out the best in some people. These mornings are a normal routine here in Bundy for some people chasing a bargain.
I must admit I've only taken advantage of about 2........or 3.
Cheers Deano

S&k

Jan 27, 2014
Cairns
I have a p3 in my disco 3. Works great. I have had it for about two yeats now. I bought mine for that guy on ebay and had it fitted. Heaps cheaper that way

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
Welcome @Dandy
We are waiting for our 17.56-1 from Page Bros as well. Hope to pick it up in the last week of Feb, it should be ready by early Feb but I am overseas, so it will be a nice present to come home to.

I have the Tekonsha P3 brake controller in the D40, works great for me. Bought it from this fella on the bay.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TEKONSHA..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b657c2b4&_uhb=1

Cheers.

Hi Vaughan
Was today the big day? (Last weekend in Feb) Any advice about the handover? Did they throw anything in? Happy with the new van?

Vaughan Reeve

Nov 25, 2013
Well, the pickup went great, it tows behind the Navara very well. Basically no difference between towing the swan and the Expanda.
Since i owned a late model Swan, most of the handover was not required and we spent the most time on the roll out awning, something i've never had... About 30 minutes in total i suppose, then the paperwork.

I have been packing all of our gear into it today, and the missus wants me to do some shelving for the cupboards asap.

I like the new decals, they look really good, suspension looks awesome too.
The only disappointing thing i have found is that the door step is only a single step, my Swan OB had a double step. Its a bloody long way up to the step from the ground. I think ill try and change it for a double.

I will be doing a shakedown trip next weekend to Yarrawonga, i will get lots of photos then, Its pretty hard to get shots at home.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Update on our progress so far. .... Order confirmed, fabric and laminex chosen. The sales guy has been pretty good so far. Apparently the factory position for the gas bayonet is at the rear, changed that to front.

As far as the brake controller goes ... The dealer referred me to their preferred auto elec who was happy to give me a bit of advice. Basically they recommend the proportional teconsha (the one with the pendulum) I had already heard that the flush mount units don't have quite the same sensitivity. The clincher for me is that they have a deal that they book your car in on the hand over day and then while that's going on the controller and 12 pin plug are installed in the car which is returned in time to have a lesson in using the unit and they are happy to wire the hot wire to my existing dual battery system. Sounds perfect in theory! Any feedback appreciated.

The only major thing left is the annex. We negotiated the basic TEBBS annex into the deal but we now think an extra door , window and the "rafter" kit would be good. The theory is that a rear door is good if we ever get an ensuite site and the rafters ad stability and prevent rain water pooling. Still choosing colors etc but no hurry because they don't make it until the van is delivered. Any feedback appreciated
Hi @Dandy and welcome to the forum.
We have the Tebbs annex and love it. We went the extra door and window and it is great when you want to open it up fully. Definitely get the roof rafters. They are not usually standard. Tekonsha is definitely the way to go. Just make sure they put a solenoid or relay on the battery and fridge hot wires so your car battery wont go flat when you pull over for lunch etc.

Reactions: Dandy

Mogsaway

Jun 10, 2013
Kellyville Ridge, N.S.W.
We did the same, went from swan to expanda. With the step, we bought an aluminium one bout 40 cms x 40cms. It is about 25 cms high so we use it instead of the single step.
Bigger target coming down and it works well. It is a dune brand from anaconda for $40 I think from memory.

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
Well, the pickup went great, it tows behind the Navara very well. Basically no difference between towing the swan and the Expanda.
Since i owned a late model Swan, most of the handover was not required and we spent the most time on the roll out awning, something i've never had... About 30 minutes in total i suppose, then the paperwork.

I have been packing all of our gear into it today, and the missus wants me to do some shelving for the cupboards asap.

I like the new decals, they look really good, suspension looks awesome too.
The only disappointing thing i have found is that the door step is only a single step, my Swan OB had a double step. Its a bloody long way up to the step from the ground. I think ill try and change it for a double.

I will be doing a shakedown trip next weekend to Yarrawonga, i will get lots of photos then, Its pretty hard to get shots at home.

Great to hear it was a good experience! I hadn't really thought about the step. It'll be good to see some pics.