Hi Everyone

JBee

Nov 2, 2017
Croydon
Hi Everyone

Thought I'd introduce myself to the forum officially! I found the forum very useful when researching what type of van to get. With 3 young kids and the camper trailer just not cutting it anymore we decided to get the 20ft Expanda and we couldn't be happier.

Can't wait to take her away on the maiden voyage and report back with a hole heap of questions and please explain why this happened.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20171110_134026.jpg
    20171110_134026.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 273

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep, yep Welcome to the Mob :welcome: your following the path of many of us and can spend many an hour wandering around this site finding some great ideas, may have to dig thru some wandering post's but even then some good info can be gleaned and best of all some good friends can be made here....................................

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Welcome @JBee

Quite a number of 20/21 owners on here now, so lots of help and mods available.

Enjoy your new van, you’ll love it

JBee

Nov 2, 2017
Croydon
Thanks everyone

Well it didn't take long...... My first question .
When I picked the van up it went into the driveway and me and the family went to Noosa for a week. Amongst the chaos I didn't plug the van in and on return the battery was flat!!

Straight to Bunnings and bought lead and amphibian adapter. My question is, does the 240v take control once plugged in and everything will then work? Or do you need to wait for the battery to charge to use 12v stuff, lights, slide out lounge, j-hub?? None of these would work even though it was plugged in to 240v

Thanks

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
Hi JBEE
first welcome to the forum I have a Journey with the JHub have you checked that you don't have a blown fuse ?
you could check the battery terminals just in case they haven't been attached properly, have you got the battery isolation switch on as it needs to be on all the time when using battery or power(240V)
here is a user guide had to compress file not sure it will work other wise try BMPRO web site

Attachments

• jhub-manual - Copy.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 2,600

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Everything 12v in the van is powered from the Setec (the black faced box under the couch). The Setec sources its input via 240v or the battery and will work on either automatically with a preference for 240v. As @Mick said you need to leave your battery switch turned on all the time to both charge battery, and use the battery. There are very few times yo would ever need to switch the battery off

Crossy

Dec 3, 2017
Canberra
Hi JBee,
Like Mick says above, you now have to plug into the 240 and turn the 12v isolator to on to get lights and pretty much everything else going. This caught me out too as we just traded in for our Expanda and our last Jayco worked without having to turn the 12v isolator on. Oh yeah, the other thing that caught me out was the fridge wasn't plugged in at the power point!!!! Made my wife laugh as I paced around saying 'it works fine on gas' and then she asked me if it was plugged in!!

Reactions: bigcol and 1DayIll

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
{QUOTE="Crossy, post: 184987, member: 7200"]Hi JBee,
Like Mick says above, you now have to plug into the 240 and turn the 12v isolator to on to get lights and pretty much everything else going. This caught me out too as we just traded in for our Expanda and our last Jayco worked without having to turn the 12v isolator on. Oh yeah, the other thing that caught me out was the fridge wasn't plugged in at the power point!!!! Made my wife laugh as I paced around saying 'it works fine on gas' and then she asked me if it was plugged in!![/QUOTE]

I hope it was at least switched on! ;)

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
Also the other thing is did Jayco wire it up correctly check the main unit under the seat for loose wires and check the screws are tight with all power off and battery disconnected as I had found with mine that the screws were loose and they had put the temperature sensor in the wrong terminal.
If you are not electrical save get Jayco to check it out

JBee

Nov 2, 2017
Croydon
Hey everyone

Thanks so much for everyones input and willingness to help.
Ok so..... I flattened the battery in the Expanda and assumed that once the 240v was plugged in the van would come back to life, wrong! The Jhub was also flat and gone into storage mode so I couldn't determine a reading on anything. So I grew up and faced my fear of auto electronics and went off and bought my very own multi meter, the dear wife removed the kids for an hour or so I could curse and swear on my own! I found out that the charging unit in the van won't bring the battery back to life, it needs to be removed and put on trickle charger. Using my Multimeter I worked out the battery wasn't completely stuffed! Charged her up, chucked it back in and everything came to life.
Great crash course to have while the van was in the driveway

Booked in to go to the Cattleman's cup in Jan in Omeo for the maiden voyage........ With fully charged Batteries

Thanks again