Electrical Hi all I have a 2009 outback expanda. Model 12.37/10B.

Jenicecu

Mar 31, 2018
Whyalla s.a.
I am the 3rd owner no manual. 7 pin flat plug. Is it likely that the fridge is plugged into this. Or van battery system. i normally keep all food stuffs in the car waeco. Just did a small run,so used van fridge. Was -1 when left home 4 hours later the van fridge was 10. Have ordered fridge vent fans . any thoughts about what is connected to what. Thanks

Gary Page

Nov 22, 2014
Sydney
Hi Jenicecu Past experience would suggest that it is connected to the 7 pin flat plug. From memory the connection is pin 2 and should be a larger diameter wire. I'm guessing that your tug is wired to have 12 volts to this pin also. Being a 3rd owner you may also have modified wiring in the van? who knows you would have to chase the wiring out. Lastly you won't be the first to have an open circuit 12 volt heating element. All the are easily tested with a meter. Good luck

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you dig around here there are a couple of threads that cover the fridge connections in great detail, suffice to say the fridge won't run off the van battery, it would go flat in a hour if it was, it is entirely possible that the fridge isn't running thru the 7 pin, if it is the cable and pin aren't big enough to carry the current. A 12 pin sort of does but running a seperate cable thru an anderson direct to the fridge is the ideal way, less loss or meltdowns..

If your bench top or walls around the fridge get hot then your fridge isnt fitted correctly and will require a bit of insulating as well, if it was over 30 deg when this happened it more than likely was working, 12v isn't all that great.....see if I can find some links to the other threads for you otherwise this thread will just be another repeat.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Had the same thing with our van fridge when wwe picked it up. Ended up getting a sparky to run an anderson on the car and putting one on the van for the fridge. Not a problem since. Also got a little fan which is solar powered to use when camped to help out.

Reactions: Delano

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Re the van, from the factory the fridge 12v is always wired to the trailer plug; and never the van battery. Re the car, from factory,or an autoelec generally your car trailer plug wont have a fridge wire unless you have specifically asked for it. The fridge will drawer a reasonable amount of power, so as mentioned above the wire needs to be large enough to cope with the current and maintain an appropriate voltage (small wire and distance will result in significant voltage drop to the point the fridge wont be able to function)

From -1 to 10 in 4 hours, would suggest the 12v isnt functioning, which would be the case if you havent had your car plug wired to power the fridge.

Everyone modifies their vans, some significantly. Some clever folk do awesome mods using common sense and skill, unfortunately some clueless folk do all sorts of weird and stupid stuff. A look around the van should give you some indication if the list of previous owners may have been "modification nutbags", and whether any obvious mods would suggests they are the skill variety or the clueless clowns which may suggest they could have felt compelled to buggered with the wiring. It would be best to check it if your confiident, or have someone take a quick look over it.

Jenicecu

Mar 31, 2018
Whyalla s.a.
Thanks all. I have had a 12 volt guy look at it. My van lead has round to flat.so we are getting that sorted. I have an Anderson on the car. When we figure out the tangle of wiring in the back of fridge will run that straight to car. I was wondering what the setec thing people were talking about. Finally googled it. Have seen a few threads on this.when the tec comes back will get him to investigate. I have just one indication light by the fuses. It doesn't light up on 240/or on battery ?. Another puzzle