16' Series Heron 2.2 aircon problem

fieldmouse

Oct 29, 2018
Newee Creek
Hi all, have an early model (04) 16.49-1 expanda with the common Heron 2.2 aircon fitted. Haven't used the aircon in a few years, but theres an issue with it. It starts up, blows air, but doesn't cool, and draws a lot of power when the cooling option is selected. It recently kept tripping the circuit breaker every time we tried it at the van park we were in, and when I connected to home power and switched it on, it was sucking great volumes of power. I doubt if this is a gas issue as that would not intefere with the power, but I'm hoping someone here can give me some idea of what it may be. All the air ducts are clear, so its intake/exhaust areas are not blocked.
Cheers and thanks
Fieldmouse.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi all, have an early model (04) 16.49-1 expanda with the common Heron 2.2 aircon fitted. Haven't used the aircon in a few years, but theres an issue with it. It starts up, blows air, but doesn't cool, and draws a lot of power when the cooling option is selected. It recently kept tripping the circuit breaker every time we tried it at the van park we were in, and when I connected to home power and switched it on, it was sucking great volumes of power. I doubt if this is a gas issue as that would not intefere with the power, but I'm hoping someone here can give me some idea of what it may be. All the air ducts are clear, so its intake/exhaust areas are not blocked.
Cheers and thanks
Fieldmouse.
Hi @fieldmouse , perhaps it is still (stuck on ) HEAT cycle and not cool?? Drawing a lot of power and not cooling (compressor not running) could indicate a capacitor start/run problem. Compressor will draw lots of power trying to start and will cause the wiring to get hot. This will heat up wiring and unless thermal safety switch cuts circuit, it will continue to heat compressor motor windings . It may already be too late if it is already tripping out, burnt insulation on windings shorting out motor.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Is it blowing air from the external vent, being a split system the blower inside is just a fan.

Sounds like its just operating as a fan unit now and as @Boots in Action mentioned the condensor for the cooling unit is knackered. It would be trying to kick in hence the power drain...Trip to an AC mechanic who knows van units, bypass the dealer as they usually are only a middleman, so why pay extra.
I never found it to be a unit worth the effort, noisy with poor performance as an AC and useless as a heater...the heater is actually an element not a reverse cycle ststem.