HELP!!! Purchase of a Jayco Expanda 17.56-2 New or Used

10petenat

Jun 5, 2011
Yeppoon, Central Queensland
Hi everyone,
We are on our way to the Brisbane Caravan and camping show next weekend to possibly order our new 17.56 Outback. We have actually come across a few 2010 vans in good condition and want to ask advice as to go with new or used. The used vans have most of our needs except we will need to put solar on to both. Does anyone know whether the 2010 model come prewired for solar???? We also were wondering the best place to buy new. We are in Central Queensland so will have to travel to wherever. Anyone's thoughts would be great. We have two kids and are off on a trip around Australia at the end of the year. Are we making the right choice. We also have a Mitsubishi Triton. Will this tow it successfully??? Thanks everyone.
Nat

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Hi everyone,
We are on our way to the Brisbane Caravan and camping show next weekend to possibly order our new 17.56 Outback. We have actually come across a few 2010 vans in good condition and want to ask advice as to go with new or used. The used vans have most of our needs except we will need to put solar on to both. Does anyone know whether the 2010 model come prewired for solar???? We also were wondering the best place to buy new. We are in Central Queensland so will have to travel to wherever. Anyone's thoughts would be great. We have two kids and are off on a trip around Australia at the end of the year. Are we making the right choice. We also have a Mitsubishi Triton. Will this tow it successfully??? Thanks everyone.
Nat

Hello,
sorry also posted on your other post asking similar question..
Easier to buy in QLD as you have to pay for GAS inspection and RWC once you cross the border Sorry incorrect obviously mis informed :o
. We are getting our 17.56-2 from Bundaberg (Warburton Caravans) best QLD price and fairly close to us (8hrs) We will be towing with the Triton GLXr shouldn't have a problem, heaps of torque!. We decided on a new 17.56-2 because it ended up being cheaper than a 6mth old one!!! (with the extras we wanted and colors)

Cheers,

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
moranbahweather.com
The following price includes - All on road costs
2011 17.56-2 Outback Expanda
Full pre-delivery
12 Months Rego
12 Months Warranty
2x 9kg Gas bottle full
1x Spare tyre
Roll out awning
Dometic roof mount a/c upgrade
Solar pack
Wind up tv antenna
Pioneer cd player
19” tv on pivotal tv bracket
External speakers
Tandem simplicity suspension
External bbq
Tregg hitch
External fold down table
Bumper
Rv control panel
External shower
150ltr fridge upgrade

Total price $47,500.00

Will be rolling off the production line on the 17th of Aug, I am picking it up 1st week of September.... Can't wait!

10petenat

Jun 5, 2011
Yeppoon, Central Queensland
Thanks heaps!!! One last question sorry....Was the solar pack panels on top or just set up to put solar on???? Did you have to order yours as I have been told by a number of people that it will be September before we can get one.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
moranbahweather.com
I ordered it with solar pack (extra) not sure about the wiring provision, probably costs extra i would imagine. Solar pack comes with 120w panel and a 30amp regulator. I have a 120w fold up panel which i will probably wire in with a Anderson plug into the regulator giving me 240w of solar. We ordered ours in April so thats about 4mths wait :( 2 mth waiting list, 8 week build time i think. So if you order now it should be late september ish i would imagine. I had to put down a 10% deposit to get the order going.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Love the options on your van bigman0510 will be well setup for the bush!

Good tip on the gas cert to....

In terms of the wait time I found out the factory has put more runs on for the 17" due it's popularity. One is in July and there was a spot left on it about two weeks ago, next on is August / September / October a run in each month that's for the outbacks though not sure on the non outbacks.

In terms of new / second hand there are alot of reasons to buy second hand, with a 17 as they are so new you generally are able to get on with factory warranty on it so you can take it to some one to get it fixed if anything goes wrong. You also will probably have any of the teething issues sorted out prior to getting it and you will probably save a couple of thousand on top.

But its a personal choice as getting one from new has a special feeling to it as you get to put your power points where you want them, put your external shower, dvd player etc where you want and choose the fabric etc. My family love this as they all get to put in their own two cents and when the van comes its just the way we want it.

Again personal choice! :) Let us know what you end up doing....

Wayne2410

Jun 5, 2011
Central Coast, NSW
Nat,

Shaz & I have just “been there done that" at the Sydney show, placing an order for a Outback Expanda 17.56.1.
We were also looking for a second hand van but the asking price is so close to new we decided to get a new one to meet our needs & with warranty etc.

If there is any bit of advice I could give re buying new at the show, it's make sure you do your homework and know exactly what extras you want on the van so you can negotiate a price with all the information on hand. We failed to do so ourselves for some items and ended up paying "book price" for a number of extra additions, however still very happy with the deal we got.

Our deal ended up being as follows;

• 12 months registration
• Air conditioning roof top (Dometic B2200)
• Roll out awning
• Wind up TV antenna
• Larger 150l fridge
• Privacy screens
• Solar 120w with 20amp regulator & 100amp battery
• Hot water service/external shower
• Picnic table
• Cost of first service (no charge)
• Extended A frame size
• Extra 82l water tank
• Extra annex light (above external shower)
• Extra trunk door at side (access the seat under dining)
• Extra 12v power
• Extra 240v power
• Extra 9kg gas bottle on A frame
• Gas bayonet fitting on A frame
• Shelving in robe next to fridge (3 shelves – 4 spaces)
• Control panel
• 12v cooling fan to fridge
• Extra coaxial TV outlet

Total cost $45,434.

Have a look on the Yahoo Expanda Group site; under the file section is a copy of the Sydney price list for all the Expanda’s & inclusions, print it out and take with you so you get an idea (I found this after we went).

We also learnt that pre-wiring for solar is an option, and not standard to all vans. The cost is on the Sydney price list, about $206 from memory, but you pay a little more and they can do the lot and it’s then done neatly in the factory and covered by warranty.

Good luck

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Easier to buy in QLD as you have to pay for GAS inspection and RWC once you cross the border.

Bigman, we bought ours in Newcastle November last year, brought it back over the border with just a permit issued by NSW RTA and the Qld motor registry just said as it had not been previously registered then the certificates (gas and roadworthy) issued by Jayco were acceptable and required no other inspections. I had verified this with both Qld and NSW transport before purchasing and Newcastle Jayco arranged the NSW end. 10petenat Check all over the country for best prices but bear in mind the costs of travelling to pick up and remember that the permit is issued for the van to go straight back to your home state and you can't use it for holidays until it is registered. :cool:

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Nat,

Shaz & I have just “been there done that" at the Sydney show, placing an order for a Outback Expanda 17.56.1.
We were also looking for a second hand van but the asking price is so close to new we decided to get a new one to meet our needs & with warranty etc.

If there is any bit of advice I could give re buying new at the show, it's make sure you do your homework and know exactly what extras you want on the van so you can negotiate a price with all the information on hand. We failed to do so ourselves for some items and ended up paying "book price" for a number of extra additions, however still very happy with the deal we got.

Our deal ended up being as follows;

• 12 months registration
• Air conditioning roof top (Dometic B2200)
• Roll out awning
• Wind up TV antenna
• Larger 150l fridge
• Privacy screens
• Solar 120w with 20amp regulator & 100amp battery
• Hot water service/external shower
• Picnic table
• Cost of first service (no charge)
• Extended A frame size
• Extra 82l water tank
• Extra annex light (above external shower)
• Extra trunk door at side (access the seat under dining)
• Extra 12v power
• Extra 240v power
• Extra 9kg gas bottle on A frame
• Gas bayonet fitting on A frame
• Shelving in robe next to fridge (3 shelves – 4 spaces)
• Control panel
• 12v cooling fan to fridge
• Extra coaxial TV outlet

Total cost $45,434.

Have a look on the Yahoo Expanda Group site; under the file section is a copy of the Sydney price list for all the Expanda’s & inclusions, print it out and take with you so you get an idea (I found this after we went).

We also learnt that pre-wiring for solar is an option, and not standard to all vans. The cost is on the Sydney price list, about $206 from memory, but you pay a little more and they can do the lot and it’s then done neatly in the factory and covered by warranty.

Good luck

I just scanned the lists from Sydney for 2011 and posted the lists up for everyones reference....

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/166-Expanda-Price-Lists-Full?p=1060#post1060

Your van sounds like it will be a pearler! Love the external door option too :)....

Might have to change my order!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Good advice from bigman, expanda and wayne. Great to have some information from people who have already been through the process of ordering a new van.

All this talk of 17 footers, i'm starting to get Expanda envy:o

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
moranbahweather.com
Bigman, we bought ours in Newcastle November last year, brought it back over the border with just a permit issued by NSW RTA and the Qld motor registry just said as it had not been previously registered then the certificates (gas and roadworthy) issued by Jayco were acceptable and required no other inspections.:

Sorry bout that obviously I was mis informed... Lesson: Don't always beleive what you read! :o