17' Series Help!! Frustrated with tv aerial and reception

Oct 12, 2015
Newcastle
You should have a socket that looks like this one 12v outlet, aerial connection, the booster is the little red or black switch to the side, we had 2 aerial outlets the second was a standard outlet on the buffet cupboard inside the door next to bed (16-49-3) the booster has nothing to do with external source from park onsite connections.

View attachment 35673

Also pick up one of these, make life easier

Signal finder

Hi,

Just a quick question, I have the same booster Aeriel as quoted, I also have a TV outlet next to the door (inside on a 16.49.30OB).

Am I right to assume that this one is not connected to the Wineyard aerial and only to the Aerial plag on the outside of the van?

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hi,

Just a quick question, I have the same booster Aeriel as quoted, I also have a TV outlet next to the door (inside on a 16.49.30OB).

Am I right to assume that this one is not connected to the Wineyard aerial and only to the Aerial plag on the outside of the van?
as far as I know it should be connected too mine is ,,,,, is the light on the booster

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
On our 16.49.3 the booster, once on, works on all coax points. One near the door and the outside one. All connected to snowflake antenna.

My problem is remembering to turn it on.

It's fine once I do that.

Reactions: Drover and achjimmy

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi,

As the others have said, it should be connected to both the outlets

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The first thing that has to be done is pull each panel off and make sure the cables are actually connected and that means tightened, inspect each one if the socket has had the crap crushed out of it, some may call it crimped then you may have to replace the socket as some Moron has more than likely broken the cable when crimping it with a pair of fence pliers........................if it's crushed to death then it won't work...........period.

Led's Jayco supplied or not will kill the reception sometimes, it depends on the RF from the light and the freq of the TV transmitter.............

If the little green light on the booster isn't there then you have a supply problem.

With TV reception.....KISS must be applied, start from the beginning..........it's usually cheaper.....

Reactions: Crusty181

Greg

May 31, 2012
Blacksmiths NSW
I had the same problems with the snowflake and gave up, brought the complete aerial kit from explorer C3 model, it works a treat for me.

Greg

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Hi all, we are having trouble with our tv signal. The booster plate is mounted in the pantry, and there is a tv point up the front next to our bed and one outside in the built in box with the tv mount as well as one on the outside wall above the fold out table. I can get 30 odd channels at the booster plate connection, however some of them flicker and are a bit weak, and none at our bed, none at the entertainment box and none on the outside point above the table. The booster is turned on. I have checked all connections and they are tight and not damaged. They all used to work fine. Could it be that the booster is stuffed???
Cheers
David

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have you checked the aerial sockets ? They may be loose, also poor spade connections behind the wall panel could be the problem. Actually haven't heard of booster failure very often, usually bad cable connections.

What sort of antennae and your location .??

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Hi Drover, I’m in Emerald Qld, only about 4km from the transmitter!!! I pulled the fittings off the back of the booster plate and redid them. The outside connections are better, but not perfect. Some channels still flicker, and I still have none at the front next to the bed... did the fitting behind the plate at the front as well, any more thoughts. Should I be checking for power any where. Even though the green light is on the booster, how do I confirm it’s actually working, I am thinking the only way would be to replace it.
Cheers

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Can you get a antenna bloke to put a strength reader on to all the points one at a time is there a screw in one of the cables ???? The windguard antennas are realy crap i think they produce no gain which is needed for good reception for a few 100 sat tv will fix all your dramas foxtell dish stand ... 20 meters of cable.... sat box .... sat finder ....
You will never have a problem again unless space junk smashes into the satellite and takes it out

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Thanks Bluey, I just bought a dish, having ALL sorts of trouble getting it to work to!!!!!! I get 75% strength and 0% quality. I even borrowed a vast setup off a neighbour and can’t get signal on it either.. grrrrrrrrr sat dish might go onto eBay soon

I have managed to get most of the channels on the main point on the outside of the van, so it appears that the antenna is probably ok, the splitter unit, which I believe is built into the booster panel, is probably knackered. Looks like I’ll have to order one of them

David

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
I have just put the 240 v booster from in the house into each point one at a time. The outside points are all good and the front one is better, but still not great. I only get about half the channels. Next stop will be the antenna man next week.

Thanks all
David.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Sounds like a cable, I have made up jumper cables so I could use a multi Meter to check continuity on the various cables, found poor crimping, actually pathetic as the core didn't get into the pin and others core was cut when crimped.
It is most annoying and drives me nuts sorting out TV aerials and Sat dishes, so far sat dish is playing really well.....Just a thought you aren't plugging your sat cable in to the external TV input on the van ???? They need a dedicated socket or you can get problems.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Drover, I was running the sat dish directly to the tv with it setup outside. And yes, the tv cable thing is driving me nuts. Why it used to work and now doesn’t is a mystery......

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If not for a birthday that I was told I was going to I would be at the Sapphire RSL this week and could have helped sort it out or at least an insurance claim....lol,lol.

But seriously, when I get to that situation I usually dismantle as much as I can, reassemble with new connectors as I check cables, drastic I know.
If just one connector has a strand of wire free in the coupling it will stuff the whole thing up, its usually something simple and hard to see........nothing on the TV anyway.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Dont give up on the dish theres somthing wrong thats simple and easy fix ... its worth getting a tv man around to steer you in the right direction and look at van at same time mite evan be a faulty LMB ???????????????
Without the dish when your far away you will have no dramas with tv as you wont pick up anything .... theres nothing better than being 500ks from nearest tower but having channels for all over Australia
Hang in there bro sometimes you just have to get an expert in to help mite cost you 100 but its all sorted money well spent i reckon

Reactions: Red1