20' Series Help from 20' & 21' owners

jcexpanda2007

Sep 22, 2013
Melbourne
Hi,
We are in the process of moving from a 16.49.1 to a 20.63.1 van in 2015. We are keen on the OB version with the slide out. In preparation for this move, we are changing our tug from a Prado to a 200 series Land Cruiser.

We have purchased the cruiser and will pull the 16.49.1 with it for our holiday trips between now and late 2015 when the new van is planned.

So my first issue is that the hitch receiver on the cruiser is 160mm higher than the Prado. I use a HR WDH which is already at it's lowest adjusted position. (Photo below). So I will have to buy a longer 'drop shank' from the local Hayman Reece distributor.

My concern is where the coupling will be located on the new 20.63.1. I have read in other posts on this site that Aust regs are:

Coupling Height -50mm Ball Couplings

Ball couplings used on trailers with an ATM of up to 3.5 tonnes must comply with Australian Standard 4177-3 and be installed so that when the coupling and towball are connected to the laden towing vehicle; the height to the centre of the tow ball above the ground shall measure between 350mm and 460mm (or be capable of being adjusted).

Can owners of 20.63.1 or 21.64.1 vans tell me the distance from ground to the underside of their coupling? I include a photo below where I have measured our current expanda at 370mm.

Please reply and state if your van is the 'On road' or 'Outback' configuration.

Thanks,
John.

0c044064-3e95-4659-afc0-3092a91bab58_zps97bbb36e.gif

b1ce01d9-d537-4097-bd45-e953a553dfa7_zps0b9c00e3.gif

navmatt

Jan 20, 2014
Ayr/Glenden Nth Qld
Hi,
We are in the process of moving from a 16.49.1 to a 20.63.1 van in 2015. We are keen on the OB version with the slide out. In preparation for this move, we are changing our tug from a Prado to a 200 series Land Cruiser.

We have purchased the cruiser and will pull the 16.49.1 with it for our holiday trips between now and late 2015 when the new van is planned.

So my first issue is that the hitch receiver on the cruiser is 160mm higher than the Prado. I use a HR WDH which is already at it's lowest adjusted position. (Photo below). So I will have to buy a longer 'drop shank' from the local Hayman Reece distributor.

My concern is where the coupling will be located on the new 20.63.1. I have read in other posts on this site that Aust regs are:

Coupling Height -50mm Ball Couplings
Ball couplings used on trailers with an ATM of up to 3.5 tonnes must comply with Australian Standard 4177-3 and be installed so that when the coupling and towball are connected to the laden towing vehicle; the height to the centre of the tow ball above the ground shall measure between 350mm and 460mm (or be capable of being adjusted).

Can owners of 20.63.1 or 21.64.1 vans tell me the distance from ground to the underside of their coupling? I include a photo below where I have measured our current expanda at 370mm.

Please reply and state if your van is the 'On road' or 'Outback' configuration.

Thanks,
John.

0c044064-3e95-4659-afc0-3092a91bab58_zps97bbb36e.gif

b1ce01d9-d537-4097-bd45-e953a553dfa7_zps0b9c00e3.gif

Yeah..... memory is not what it used to be, im not back home till wednesday but i think it was somewhere between 420 and 440......

I can confirm this later in the week if someone else hasnt chimed in by then

Cheers
Matt

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
hiya @jcexpanda2007
I would be checking where the hitch is on the A frame of your 20.63
Im not sure, but I dont think they put them on the top of the A frame - I think they are in between the bars on the Draw Bar

picture of @meandher (a frost) van (sorry mate, I borrowed the pic for info............)
Meandher.jpg

which you can then raise the hitch if needed

cheers

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I do recall a thread "somewhere" on here where someone removed the hitch, welded a new plate on the top of the A frame and remounted the hitch.
some mods to the handbrake.......(??????)

someone else also put a spacer block (with longer bolts as well) to lift the hitch up

can any of the guys who did this point out which thread it was?

you may be able to get the height you need that way @jcexpanda2007

Reactions: Drover

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
SNIP......................

The other mod was to do with the tow height. I purchased a 50mm block that fits under the towing hitch on the van, however with this block attached the parking brake does not have enough clearance to operate correctly. The shape of the lever is such that it tucks underneath meaning that the block stops travel. I took the brake lever off, traced it onto cardboard and then modified it and then cut out the cardboard shape to test. Seemed good so I was off to the local caravan store to see if it could be changed. Thought I would check with a friend (welder) if it was possible. Well he took one look and said simple cut, flip, and weld. 15 minutes later I walk out with the lever modified. Some grinding flat and silver spray and all looks like new (although slightly different).

View attachment 7426

On tow height, I will say that I am a fan of WDH and feel that they really help with keeping the car easy to control. You can feel the van but you have control. I will limit this to single axle as I have only towed single axle with WDH. Dual without and car carrier only.
Steve

thanks for that Steve, I knew I had seen / read it somewhere

Reactions: Drover

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
The height it sits at not connected is not the right measurement the 200 has a different shank to that one pictured
Need to connect it up then measure my personal van sits above the hiring but when hooked on rests at the top of it

Reactions: bigcol

jcexpanda2007

Sep 22, 2013
Melbourne
Thanks for all the replies. I've spent a fair bit of time playing with a longer drop HR hitch and taking check measurements of the car, the van and the tow ball centre.

I discovered that the critical measurement is the working height of the towball. In other words the height from the centre of the ball to the ground with:
1. The car and van coupled together.
2. The car and van both loaded ready for travel.
3. The WDH working with both spring bars fitted (working) ready for travel.

Yes the car drops at the rear (and raises at the front) when you attach the caravan.
Yes this changes when the WDH spring bars are fitted. In fact, for my 16.49.1 van, fitting the spring bars almost reverses (or eliminates) the effect of attaching the van to the car.

So with the WDH working properly, all that remains for an optimum setup is to:
1. Ensure the working height of the towball is between 350mm - 460mm.
2. Aim to have the van level when traveling (not nose up or nose down). Refer to the post from Steve @millers above for info on how some members have organised their rigs to address the towball working height and get their van level.

Happy travels!
John.

P.S. I also learnt that I will likely need to upgrade my existing WDH when we get the 20.63.1

Reactions: dagree