Electrical Help - 12v power stopped working,

XpandaOwner

Apr 30, 2015
Canberra
Hello,

I was hoping someone may be able to provide me with some advice or help on what could be the probable cause of my 12v power stopping working today in my Jayco Expanda 16.49-3. I have outlined all details below. (Sorry I posted this in general thread already but thought to move to Jayco threads)

My family and I are about to head off on a big trip in a couple of weeks so I am very keen to get it all working again.

I have full power when the 240v mains is connected but the 12v just randomly ceased working.

The orange battery light no longer comes on the setec unit whether the battery isolator switch is on or off and the red fault light does not come on either.

The battery is full and all fuses are fine, I have checked most connections with the multimeter and also inspected what I could near the battery and setec unit for any loose wires and all looks fine. So I am now stumped on what the problem is.

Thank you

Chris

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
What do you mean with "full power on 240v", the only 240v appliances are the fridge and microwave. Everything else is 12v ... are you getting lights etc whilst connected to 240v??

What voltage are getting from the battery?

Last edited:

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Are you sure the battery is charged to 100%. The fridge will suck the life out of the battery in about 2-3 hours. You may get a reading close to 12V with a multimeter on the battery when close to flat but not enough charge in it to run the fridge.

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Fridge shouldnt be connected to house battery.
If you have lights on 240 then the setec is working, with meter in hand start at battery and check every connection till you get to the setec, including the connector on the unit then you should find the fault.
Mine once had bad connections on the swit h.

Reactions: MDS69

XpandaOwner

Apr 30, 2015
Canberra
Thank you everyone for your replies... After playing around today and testing everything possible and with assistance of Jayco Canberra it was determined that something must be broken in the setec board which was causing it not to kick into 12v.

Replaced the setec unit and everything is working properly again.

Cheers

Chris

Where to next

Aug 25, 2015
Melbourne
What is the age of the caravan? Good to hear that you have been able to fix the problem. It would be interesting to know the expected lifespan of the Setec units?

Reactions: Delano

XpandaOwner

Apr 30, 2015
Canberra
It is a 2012 model... So only 3 years old. The Setec should last a lot longer than that but like anything I guess someone has to get a faulty one from time to time.