14' Series Hello!

Ant

Sep 3, 2017
Cairns
Hi all,
we would like to introduce ourselves as we are now the owners of a new Expanda Outback 14.44-5 OB!
My partner, Darella and I are very excited with our new panda as it is the first caravan we have owned. I have been reading all the great posts here which have been invaluable, thank you all.
If you see me out at a carvan park be kind as I'm not the best reverser!
I have been busy adding extra silicon (lots) and zip ties under the van. I also siliconed a plastic tent pole foot (pic below) onto the roof for the TV aerial to locate into as I don't won't it moving around too much when we hit corrugation etc.
So far we have found a few issues that I will raise with Jayco. One of concern is one locking latch for the roof/cover of the bed. It looks like they have overtightened the nut which has cracked the gelcoat and fibreglass and caused the whole locking latch to recede in a few millimetres more than the other. Has anyone else seen this and should it be a concern?
Also the front left AL-KO stabiliser/jack leg is a lot stiffer to wind down than the others, not sure if this is common as well?

Below is a breakdown of all the fruits :)
  • Bed converter
  • Control panel - coast to coast
  • tv/dvd
  • roof top AC
  • Ext shower
  • 160 Watt solar
  • Ext picnic table
  • ALKO esc
  • Storm cover
  • Sleves to robe
  • 2nd battery
  • two extra 12v sockets
  • do35 hitch
  • Payload upgrade
    1.jpg
    6.jpg
    3.jpg
    5.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Welcome to the group, with a 14.44 you will have a great time, don't worry about reversing you will get better , ignore the goofers watching they weren't much chop once also..............take it back in regards to the locking catch, it may be superficial but never know, they should look at it at service but advise them of any things you find asap, they will fob off to service time but reporting gets it covered, do it in writing, email, then at least you will have written proof never take a phone call as confirmation of anything..................

Might want to try those pics again as they didn't show up, well at least on my screen................................

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Welcome to the 14.44-5 OB Club!
We have had ours now for three years and many trips and Km later still thoroughly enjoy our trips in our Sea Dragon.
We have done a few mods that you might also find useful, check the link below.
Like your idea of a tv aerial locating ‘socket’, where did you get it from?
Sure you will enjoy your travels and will keep an eye out when we travel, our van is fairly easy to recognize with the Sea Dragon spare wheel cover on the rear bumper.
Cheers Marv

Reactions: G Daddy and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome @Ant lots of great people here with a genuine passion for their Vans and all things camping

as @Drover said, anything....ANYTHING your not happy about - make sure you let them know via email or Registered Letter, never ever rely on a phone call

I love the TV aerial holder - what a great idea, thank you

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Now I see the pics..........aerial holder very cool, mine just had a door stop and Big Mal has a big blob of silastic which I moulded to shape......leg probably needs a lube.

Reactions: bigcol

Ant

Sep 3, 2017
Cairns
Hi Marv, bigcol and Drover,
thank you for welcomes and kind words. Sorry for the late reply, I have had a few issues...not with the van but with the patrol. It decided to have clutch issues on our first trip. Luckily it was only a few kays down the road so I was able to limp home. Then we had nothing but troubles with the new clutch install, all good now...I think.
Not sure where I found the idea for the tv ariel holder, just came to me as I was looking around for a solution. It has done the job so far but that has only been highway work.

Have a Merry Christmas and safe New Year..., I have to work it and New Years :( (month on, month off job).
Hoo roo.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
ohhhh a 3.0L Patrol, with the dual mass flywheel...........?

go for the single mass....... a wee bit harsher on take off......... but a heck of a lot stronger.......

Ant

Sep 3, 2017
Cairns
Hi,
just a quick update. My local Jayco dealer here in Cairns replaced the lid under warranty with no questions though it did take a few months to have it shipped from Jayco to the dealer here. No problems though as we were still able to use the van.

I apologise for the late reply bigcol, it's a 4.2 Patrol that apparently had a single mass already installed but was worn out (so the say). I think it it was the rear oil seal leaking oil onto it causing it to slip and they stung me a new clutch anyway!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
as long as they replaced the rear seal while they were there.............

I had my clutch go on my TD42 when we went away on the Panda's maiden voyage in 2013..............
not happy, and an empty wallet later.........

never had a worry since still going strong

as the resident Patrol Freak, I am curious about your rig now.......

Reactions: Drover