17' Series Hello all - 17.56 - 2 OB

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
I thought I better introduce myself here after posting and lurking on other threads.

We have just upgraded from a Flamingo Outback and placed an order for a 17.56 - 2 Outback. It isn't that we don't love our Flamingo, it's just the setup of going away and the effort involved for shorter trips. I must admit our Flamingo has a lot, and I mean a lot of extras which prepped us for necessities required and some not so necessities. I am impressed with the standard features that now come with the Jayco's. We spent all day at a recent camping show looking at all the vans of various price ranges where at the end of the day we decided the Expanda suited us to a tee in both price and functionality.

Our Expanda factory extras include the following;

* Extended Drawbar
* 12v assist tv antenna
* Sphere TV
* Pivot tv bracket
* Drifter panel
* Stereo with ext speakers
* Picnic table
* Additional water tank (3 total)
* External tv point
* Fixed double bunks

Upon arrival I will replace the Setec with Projecta 10amp smart charger, additional 12v & USB sockets, additional solar panel, additional 100ah batt, replace 12pin with 7 pin & Anderson plug.....ahhhh the list goes on.

I allowed for a few months lead time so we can sell our Flamingo and have the Expanda arrive when we wish to use it. I have been monitoring the 2nd hand market for some time and like last time the price we are paying for new is less than what some people are asking 2nd hand with less fruit.

The wait and online shopping begins!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome to the forum @Racer and a great choice of van ;)
The option list looks good.... Unfortunately we bought a van ordered for stock and couldn't get the extended drawbar but did manage to get a few freebies thrown in. We also found second hand prices were almost the same as new.

Looking forward to see what else you do to it when you pick it up!

Reactions: Racer

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Welcome @Racer great van choice. I have the same and am going on our first big trip. Yes the list of mods go on. This is a wonderful sight for ideas and the expanda family are so helpful. I've spent hours getting ideas from here. Just need the time and finance to complete them. Enjoy your new holiday maker.

Reactions: Racer

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
Well we picked it up the other day. It wasn't well prepped and found a number of problems with it. The bloke doing the handover was extremely helpful and found a few minor things I missed as well.

The 3 way fridge wouldnt light on gas, the gas hot water kept cutting out, privacy screens missing, stone deflector not mounted correctly and missing pins locking it in (would have bounced out), sikaflex around hot water overflow in hot water system, draw latch, clip on awning locking it in place, decal bubbled and peeling, 2/3 of the tv points not working.....I think that's it.

To the dealerships credit they had a fella working non stop and fixed the issues prior to leaving bar the the decal, tv point and I fixed the the stone deflector with their tools.

We ended up with the following extras

* Extended Drawbar
* 12v tv antenna
* Sphere TV - 19.5
* Stone deflector
* Drifter panel
* Stereo with ext speakers
* Picnic table
* External tv point
* Fixed double bunks
* External Shower
* In store credit due to TV bracket not suitable

All up the total price was just a touch over $45000 driveaway.

I have already started on few modifications.

* T level on drawbar
* additional battery 100ah AGM
* Projecta Smart Charger for batteries
* Baintech USB charging ports
* External solar input to Jayco reg (support the 120w panel in existence)
* Fridge and freezer wireless thermometers

Overall we are extremely happy with the van and look forward to many family trips ahead. I can already feel the difference between our previous camper and the Expanda.