Hayman reece brake controller ??????

Apr 15, 2012
Perth W.A.
Dropped the van in today for some warranty work, which included brake problems.
I was told that the Hayman Reece controller can and does cause problems with the brakes.
The problem we are experiencing is that the front drivers side wheel gets very hot whilst the rest are almost cold, and that to actually get the van to work with the car to pull up i have the controller set pretty high.
Is this normal for the Hayman Reece controller or should i throw it out the window and get something else ?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

rick.

Apr 15, 2012
Perth W.A.
Salsimo, thanks for the links, if all is wel with the van i will definately look at one of those.

Capt, it will be interesting to see how your mate gets on with his, if you could let me know i would really appreciate it.

rick.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hey Rick, Moto had the same problem with his 14' was told it was his HR controller. He replaced it and still had the problem, it will more than likely be a problem with the Expanda's brakes on that wheel. Also since its only one wheel it shouldn't be the controllers fault causing the problem.

Contact Jayco mate and let them know

Here you go mate

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/690-Check-Brakes!!!!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
As Cruza said i forked out for a new controller being told it will fix my brakes. It didn't fix the problem.

If anything it has caused a new problem as my new Tekonsha P3 is bigger than the Hayman Reece and i keep hitting my knee on it.

In terms of useability though, go the Tekonsha. Its in a whole different league.

IT WON'T FIX YOUR BRAKE PROBLEM THOUGH!

Hope this helps.

Apr 15, 2012
Perth W.A.
Capt and Moto, thanks for that. I had a quick chat today with the local sparkie and he told me a way to check if the controller is working ok, so thats tommorrows job.
I know what you mean about hitting your knee Moto, i have the controller mounted on the side of the centre console and rest my knee on it most of the time.
We never had a problem with it when we had the Dove or the Goldstream so i do think it is the van brakes not working right.
Should hopefully get the van back sometime this week so it will be interesting if they find a fault with it.

rick.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Seems ludicrous to me that it could be the controller if only one brake/wheel is getting hot. The brake control is not in stereo or surround sound. It's just in Mono! :) It will send the signal same to each wheel. I'm sure it is a problem with the wheel/brake assembly on that particular side. Best of luck with it and travel safe.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
With the tekonsha Prodigy2, after a few hours of driving, I would find the drivers side would start to lockup when tapping the brakes. I put it down to brake adjustment. However, it could also suggest that the passenger side was getting too hot (and thus not operating correctly )?????

maybe there is a common trend being found here?

Apr 15, 2012
Perth W.A.
Hiya Straypup,,,,:):) yeah i was thinking the same thing.
I have been having a read back through the forum here and on a few others and have forund a few references to brake problems, especially on the 17 series. I think i will call my dealer on Monday and see what they have to say about it all.

rick.