Has anyone replaced their gas struts?

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi guys.

When popping up my roof today I noticed that one corner slightly drops by 1 to 2 cm. I think the gas strut in that corner needs to be replaced. Has anyone ever replaced theirs?

If so can you tell me where you bought them from and what size/ brand are they?

Thanks in advance.

CR

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Replaced the ones in my Freedom quite a few years ago.
Bought the struts from Jayco and took an old one into make sure I got the ones with the right pressure.

Had about 45 goes at getting the first one back on and even tried an old coat hanger to hold it in whilst putting it back in to no avail.
Ended up calling a mobile guy who had the appropriate equipment who reinstalled all of them for $75.00

Good Luck!

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Thanks Hamish.

One of my struts popped off once, and a good mate of mine used one of those tension straps (the ones we use to secure things onto our roof racks). He compressed it down using his own body weight, and then slowly released the tension until the strut was the same length as the attachment knobs. He clipped it back on and it was done. I think I`ll use the same method to install a new one too.

Not overly easy to do, but I think it's possible. Maybe only about 25 goes to get it on, as apposed to your 45 goes!

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Thanks Hamish.

One of my struts popped off once, and a good mate of mine used one of those tension straps (the ones we use to secure things onto our roof racks). He compressed it down using his own body weight, and then slowly released the tension until the strut was the same length as the attachment knobs. He clipped it back on and it was done. I think I`ll use the same method to install a new one too.

Not overly easy to do, but I think it's possible. Maybe only about 25 goes to get it on, as apposed to your 45 goes!

Definitely possible, once you get them pushed in if you can get them to stay in the correct position you have won 90% of the battle.
My biggest problem was I was going away the next day so was rushing a little but in the end 75.00 was worth it!