18' Series Has anyone refused to take there new van for dealership due to to many/big defects

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi @Matt3116
Welcome to the forum.
Depends on the defect there has been a few threads on here that people knocked back if big and not really easily fixable.
I think one was the weight was too high they could not tow it.

What is the problem or just getting prepared for the worst?
Most small things and there probably be a few will be fixed at first service or when you can book in to fix depending on what.
Some will be fixed on pickup again depending on what.

If your not happy with the van then do not pay the balance.

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Sounds like you think there are likely to be problems!

Suggestion: when you book your handover time, make another time a day or two earlier to check out what's worrying you. Small things can then be sorted while they're doing the predelivery, before you collect and pay. Bigger issues can also be addressed once you know what you're facing.

And yes....the 1000k service is for small fixes. Anything more than that needs sorting out well before then, preferably before you pay!

What problems are you anticipating?

Sweet Pea

Apr 9, 2015
New South Wales
We picked our Starcraft up in November and l nervously waited and anticipated problems and we didn't have a single one so I in particular was anxious and didn't need to be. Dear husband wasn't worried as his philosophy is everything can be fixed even if at a later date. We didn't have gas while away and phoned Jayco who were fantastic and talked us through the problem which was nothing more than human error on our part. We have our first service on Friday and Jayco phoned to see if we had anything that needed fixing and I was happy to say no. There's so much negative on Jayco but like us you may be pleasantly surprised

Matt3116

Mar 23, 2016
Victoria
Thanks we where a little concern about having to take time off work to take the van back & forth to the dealership as its not close by.

Rusty02

Aug 16, 2015
Brisbane
We picked our Starcraft up in November and l nervously waited and anticipated problems and we didn't have a single one so I in particular was anxious and didn't need to be. Dear husband wasn't worried as his philosophy is everything can be fixed even if at a later date. We didn't have gas while away and phoned Jayco who were fantastic and talked us through the problem which was nothing more than human error on our part. We have our first service on Friday and Jayco phoned to see if we had anything that needed fixing and I was happy to say no. There's so much negative on Jayco but like us you may be pleasantly surprised
For me it is the case of once bitten twice shy, see how we go on Friday at our second handover.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I can understand you feel a bit jaded after that experience but you might find it a better result after Friday. I hope so.

As for general handover problems, we tend to hear more about the major issues rather than the small niggles.

The positives tend to get overwhelmed by the negatives but that's human nature!

We're on our third Jayco and nothing is absolutely perfect but we've been pleasantly surprised by their genuine approach to warranty issues. As an example, our van is out of warranty and we've just had it serviced before we go away. It was the usual " check the usual maintenance issues...bearings, anode etc etc as per the list" and they found a problem with two things we hadn't even noticed. Both were fixed at no cost and Jayco approved them immediately.
One was a water pressure valve, the other a mattress.

So...we'll stick with Jayco and our experience has been positive.

(I just wish they'd get the cupboard hinges right...three fixes so far but the last one was good)

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Another thing to remember @Matt3116 Jayco have more than 50% of the caravan market in Australia so we are going to hear more reports of issues.

I would be interested to see the results of a report on the % of warranty work required versus the number of vans sold (Per Brand)?

M Cressey

Mar 9, 2014
New Zealand
We had a bit of a shocker on our second jayco basestation, I actually think they sent the wrong one to New Zealand as so many things were actually not what we ordered and the dealer and Jayco agreed that they had stuffed it up so badly they built a whole new van and it arrived in NZ 3 months later and somebody in NZ ended up with a really good deal, our third van was great just the normal little issues still waiting on a replacement hand basin one year on, but that is because the basin factory burnt down and they lost the moulds, murphy had a bit to play with that one.
I call jayco the toyota of caravans they build a good product the issue is they build a lot of them very quickly.

Last edited:

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
We are protected under Australian Consumer Law, if there is a problem it will be fixed and if you are paying a heap of money for a product it will definitely be fixed. Main problem is we are not aware of our rights and do not stand up for our rights. We had a problem with tyres scrubbing out, outside warranty, it was fixed under warranty. I have read numerous report reports of cracked windows and dodgy shower cubicles, all fixed outside warranty. If you don't accept ar delivery, you need to take it back.Why not accept delivery, have a week or two away and have the bugs fixed under warranty. Just my opinion.

Sweet Pea

Apr 9, 2015
New South Wales
Matt I can understand your anx as we had a van before this one that had some major issues but all where fixed. Is it possible that you can go to an approved caravan repairer instead of taking it back to jayco? When we had issues with our jayco swan jayco approved us to go to an authorised repairer that was closer to us than the jayco service centre.

How'd the second handover go on Friday?

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi,
We have a Jayco Journey 17.55-5sh. We arranged an inspection prior to registration of our caravan. We found many defects with the cabinetry, fit and finish to the extent where we were not going to accept the caravan. We gave the dealer the opportunity to rectify the issues and once these were rectified we inspected the van again prior to registration and arranged a handover date. The dealer have been good so far and we are happy so far with our van. Jayco are good with their warranty, even fixing items out of warranty for the original owners. All issues I have requested to be rectified have bed addressed without question.
I recall reading on the forum one member who refused to accept his van due to issues and had a new one delivered.
Try not to worry about it too much as Jayco seem to be very good with addressing warrant issues. I have a friend with a Retreat and he had had nothing but trouble with it and issues getting things fixed.
I would buy another Jayco again.
Cheers
Nick

Sweet Pea

Apr 9, 2015
New South Wales
Would love to know good or bad how you guys went picking up your van Friday? Hope all is okay?

A friend ordered a caravan in March 2015 and had endless delays and it was close to 10 months before they went to pick it up. There was so much wrong with it and it was the wrong colour that they refused to take it. It meant they had to start back at the beginning and wait another potential 10 months so they asked for the deposite back. It wasn't a Jayco. Another friend just put a deposit on a Crusader and now they've gone bust along with their deposit. It's early days but they have fingers crossed they'll get back the deposit. Then they will start looking again.

We are packing our caravan today for a 5 day trip leaving tomorrow. Wish it was longer but we have commitments that don't enable us more time just yet. Excitement is right up there as we've only had 2 nights away since we picked her up in November. It'll be a good length of time to see what might need fixing. So far we've one latch that won't close and curved trim around the top cupboard in the bathroom has lifted from both sides. Dear husband will fix those himself as they should be an easy fix.

Reactions: dagree

sierramason

Jul 15, 2015
melbourne
Would love to know good or bad how you guys went picking up your van Friday? Hope all is okay?

A friend ordered a caravan in March 2015 and had endless delays and it was close to 10 months before they went to pick it up. There was so much wrong with it and it was the wrong colour that they refused to take it. It meant they had to start back at the beginning and wait another potential 10 months so they asked for the deposite back. It wasn't a Jayco. Another friend just put a deposit on a Crusader and now they've gone bust along with their deposit. It's early days but they have fingers crossed they'll get back the deposit. Then they will start looking again.

We are packing our caravan today for a 5 day trip leaving tomorrow. Wish it was longer but we have commitments that don't enable us more time just yet. Excitement is right up there as we've only had 2 nights away since we picked her up in November. It'll be a good length of time to see what might need fixing. So far we've one latch that won't close and curved trim around the top cupboard in the bathroom has lifted from both sides. Dear husband will fix those himself as they should be an easy fix.
FYI Crusader has been brought out by someone don't know who but they will still be in production so your friend shouldn't loose there deposit at all.