Hard lid gas struts

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I am surprised the hard lid one is not considered a recall. Those lids are under constant strain. I think the metal hoop would stop the lid from falling any further, but I don't think I would want to be the person lying on the bed relying on that hoop if it did happen to fall.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I notice packing ours up on the weekend that a bracket on the rear lid id very loose! Has there been a fix for this? Mine is under warranty, but I would rather fix it myself. Thought about making a longer bracket with 4 screws and glueing it to the lid.

Geoff

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I notice packing ours up on the weekend that a bracket on the rear lid id very loose! Has there been a fix for this? Mine is under warranty, but I would rather fix it myself. Thought about making a longer bracket with 4 screws and glueing it to the lid.

Geoff

That's the go Geoff, longer the better! I'd probably make them about 150mm long with 4 screws as you said, sometimes your better off doing it yourself and doing it right!

Cheers.

Spot

Oct 16, 2012
Capalaba, Brisbane
Hard lid strut bracket

Hi Guys I posted this back in October if of any help.
Look guys the top strut brackets are inadequate for the force the strut applies and if one is able they need to fabricate brackets similar to the ones in the attached photo. I have fabricated my own which is adequately stronger removing the lever action from the two screws stabilising the bracket against the lid. The brackets are simply two L sections spot welded together and screwed to the stiffener on the roof.
I have advised Jayco of this fault which they confirmed passing my concerns on to the R&D department so hopefully the units coming off the assembly line have been New Expanda hard lid strut bracket.JPG amended.

Reactions: macca

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey All

Summer01 - we also purchased a 16 foot but the 16.49-3 in September 2012. We have had the front hard lid do the same. The bracket that was attached to the inside of the hard lid came off when closing the lid. It was because the bracket was installed too close to the edge and when you apply downward pressure it put the bracket on an angle which over the time eventually popped off. We fixed ourselves by installing to the correct location. Did this because as you say taking to the dealership is time consuming and not as straight forward as taking say a mower back to bunnings- especially with the time of day they are open and for us, we have to use brisbane camperland, live brisbane west and work brisbane west so not a quick thing to do.

I played with the brackets front and back beds a lot when this happened as I too was concerned regarding the lid falling whilst sleeping. I don't believe that this issue would cause the lids to fall - not in my case anyway. The installation was out by about 5mm but this was enough to cause the bracket to come away when downward pressure is applied. When the lids are up there is clearly less pressure on them.

Spot: In saying the above, i think i will steal your idea spot looks fantastic. :)

Cheers
Ants