Hard Lid Cracking

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi has anyone got similar cracks under the hard lid? I have reported them and are awaiting to hear from them but considering I have fixed all the press studs etc. I am not in a hurry to replace them and can easily fix it myself, although this one seems to be getting worse.

Crack.JPG

Wandering Willies

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
I also have similar cracks on both sides. Let us know if Jayco do anything about it.
I'm hoping to get the expanda serviced in Newcastle when we get there so I will also ask the question

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Its a pretty common according to my dealer. Mine has them but not as bad as the above photo and have never changed or gotten any worse. It appears to happen where the join is with the corner section and top section.

After speaking to my service manager I went and looked at some new Expanda's at the same dealer and they were all the same and they were brand new.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Its a pretty common according to my dealer. Mine has them but not as bad as the above photo and have never changed or gotten any worse. It appears to happen where the join is with the corner section and top section.

After speaking to my service manager I went and looked at some new Expanda's at the same dealer and they were all the same and they were brand new.

Thanks all. That one seems to have opened up a bit. I am not really interested in getting them replaced if it’s going to do it again, I could easily strengthen it with some aluminium flat bar or angle and would rather do that. i guess my concern is long term if left does the stress fracture keep going around the corner?

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Yep spoke to a jayco repairer , that had to come to our house to fit the dvd player ages ago , and yes we went over our van he mentioned that exact problem its quite common on all four corners of the hard lids but going over ours he gave us the thunbs up . So for me we're lucky But He did say everyone should check that area .

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
yep ours has some cracking along the lids, boths sides, both ends, hasn't got any worse, but I try and close lids from the centre best I can to help prevent any twisting of the lids, I also have some minor surface star cracking in the Gelcoat lower left front corner of the body next to lid

Aremac

Sep 20, 2011
Townsville, North Queensland.
*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring*
haven't noticed the cracks (will look now) but I did notice a big bubble that has formed on the top RHS of the lid :frown: (large in area not height)

Went out yesterday and took the cover off the van to get it ready for the weekend only to find a "bubble" in the front bed lid, in the same spot as yours bigman, top RHS.
Not sure what could have caused it but i didn't expect in on a 3 month old van :shocked:

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring*

Went out yesterday and took the cover off the van to get it ready for the weekend only to find a "bubble" in the front bed lid, in the same spot as yours bigman, top RHS.
Not sure what could have caused it but i didn't expect in on a 3 month old van :shocked:

Im sure they will replace it under warraty but still.... I am wondering it is from a fair bit of sun and maybe there was a bit of moisture in there or something (clutching at straws)

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
We also have the cracks in the photo, i reported it to Jayco just in case they got worse, but they never have. I was told it was common.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Bubble on Hard Lid

Im sure they will replace it under warraty but still.... I am wondering it is from a fair bit of sun and maybe there was a bit of moisture in there or something (clutching at straws)
X 3.
Hey Bigman, did you get your hard lid replaced. I've noticed a slight bubble forming on my rear lid. First saw it whilst applying my Expanda Forum sticker. It's left of the Expanda E.
image.jpg

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Guys..If you have "bubbles" on the Hard Lids, this is bad.

It means that the fiberglass is delaminating and in time it will rot through.We had this and a boat builder warned me of it. Jayco replaced both lids. At the time the van was 4 months old. Ours is a Nov 2011 build date.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
X 3.
Hey Bigman, did you get your hard lid replaced. I've noticed a slight bubble forming on my rear lid. First saw it whilst applying my Expanda Forum sticker. It's left of the Expanda E.
View attachment 10940

Time to hijack the thread sorry I can't help myslelf but the sticker looks awesome to me!!!! :)

When you get a tick post up in here some pics and how you went getting it on?

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/2081-Show-Off-Your-Expanda-Forum-Stickers

Sorry back on topic now :)!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Yeah the sticker does look good, but I am concerned with bank of dads reply and what happens if Jayco need to replace the lid.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hey Brad, I guess, I'll have to purchase another sticker if they need to replace it. Bit of bad luck if that's the way it goes. I know those stickers cost a bit to produce. That 90km I was quoted $90 but got it for free as I knew the guy that owned the business. I'll post the rest of the pics on the right thread.
Cheers
Deano

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Hey Guys,

I had a crack in the bottom right corner of the body where the corner of the lid meets. They repaired it under warranty, the repair was totally invisible and has not reappeared, at this stage.

drewy

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yeah the sticker does look good, but I am concerned with bank of dads reply and what happens if Jayco need to replace the lid.

Apologies I got excited the first one I had seen...

Its a bummer :( to have this happen!

Hey Brad, I guess, I'll have to purchase another sticker if they need to replace it. Bit of bad luck if that's the way it goes. I know those stickers cost a bit to produce. That 90km I was quoted $90 but got it for free as I knew the guy that owned the business. I'll post the rest of the pics on the right thread.
Cheers
Deano

Don't worry about the sticker if they can not remove and replace ill send you out another expanda one for nicks just let me know how you get along.

And get in touch with Jayco and see what they say but I would think they would be inclined to repair vs replace.

A few people have had bubbles etc in the fibreglass on the forum and they repaired it.

I think from memory chartrock had something like this but on the roof??