VIC Halls Gap Lakeside Tourist Park

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
http://www.hallsgaplakeside.com/

This park is located under the dam wall of Lake Bellfield, about 7km South of Halls Gap. Unlike the parks closer to town, this one is heavily treed and really in a nature area.
As per our normal preference, it is a top tourist park.

The park has around 150 powered sites over 10 acres, and has a wood fired heated pool, and trampolines. There are new amenities with individual bathrooms, and the old ones with taps that don't turn off, 5 year old mould etc etc. And the usual camp kitchen and stuff. There seemed to be enough portable wood burner box things for about every second site. We had the rear-most corner site with the creek across the road, and a view out to the grassland adjoining.

Local wildlife is a mob of 25-30 Eastern Grey roos, 6 or 7 emus, rosellas, cockatoos, etc. The roos roam the park at night, otherwise during the day they stay in the open glass lands adjoining the park. Unfortunately, I wasn't pleased to see the owners' dogs, stalking and trying to bring down the roos. At least he went and fetched them when I pointed it out.

The owners are friendly enough, but it seems to be backpackers hired to attend to customers. At one point, although the owner was sitting at the front desk, and there was a queue waiting, she looked up and told us that she wouldn't serve us and we had to wait for the young chap....(?) Another backpacker had the job of watering sites with the fire hose. She took her job very seriously and watered right up the annex splashing everything with mud, and leaving no dry access between road and van.... The people beside us took to leaving a trail of belongings from the roadway to their camper to prevent watering in those locations.

Overall, to me its still the best park of the four in Halls Gap, and I'd select it again over the others just on it natural 'ambiance'. 4/5 on the park, 2/5 for the management.
IMGP1229_resize.JPG

IMGP1259_resize.JPG

IMGP1193_resize_resize.JPG