GROUP MEET 2016

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I like it @BUSH PALACE

Mrs Smergs and I were wondering about our "big trips" for next year. One key thing will always be school holidays and trying to ensure a date that maximises the chances of these overlapping. I might have a look at this and see what the dates are....

As for locations, I would like to throw out Alice Springs as a potential location. Plenty to see in the area, unique and "central" (i.e. miles for everyone to travel to). Plus, it was where we were thinking of heading... ;)

Ben Stanford

Feb 23, 2014
Sunbury, Vic
I'd be keen to have a look at attending! Alice Springs would be a great venue, The Big 4 in Alice Springs is huge, and no doubt would be big enough to accomodate most of us!

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK, School Term dates for those of us restricted to travelling in and around them.

School Term Dates.jpg

I should point out that this is simply off the government website and doesn't reflect individual school programs which may or may not start on a later date.

What the above tells me is that there is no "golden weekend" which suits school going families...In fact, notwithstanding Christmas holidays, there are only 2 weekends in which all states/territories are either coming in or out of holidays...
  • Sat/Sun of 9th/10th of July
  • Sat/Sun of 1st/2nd of October
One thing I've learnt with planning big group events like this (and by no means am I trying to lead the way here... ) is that you will never find a date/place/time to suit everyone. There will always be compromise and people who can't make it.

Last edited:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
At this stage, dates are irrelevant to me, we can go anytime. We have been trying to plan a trip through the Flinders for some time so Alice Springs would combine well at the beginning or end of that trip.

Reactions: DRW and Smergen

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
We haven't been to Rawnsley for a couple of years but are planning to go again this winter. They have a huge, well equipped camp kitchen, pet friendly (but can't take dogs into the national park of course) and lots of stuff to do.
This is what the powered sites were like.
2008 July. Rawnsleypark. Sharon & Matt.  0248.JPG

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
We'll be keen - hopefully will be retired by then! Will be out and about in the van much more often, though a return trip to Turkey is being threatened by MrsBillrw!

Reactions: chartrock