17' Series Grounding Out / Castor Wheels

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Has anyone else come across attaching castor wheels to a van when they have problems with grounding out on a steep hill. (I should have linked this in with another post "driveway from hell")

We cannot reverse the van round the corner onto the driveway and vice-versa get out as the rear bar will always ground out on the driveway.

It was suggested that we can solve the problem by adding some castor wheels on the rear end, so after some research I bought a pair at the weekend, each wheel is rated for 350kg.

The plan is next to weld the wheels onto the rear of the chassis, at a point whereby it will just stop the rear bar from hitting the tarmac. We have pushed the rear bumber bar in further which should help a little but still need to insert some additional metal to get the right height for the wheels to work.

IMG_0166.jpg
IMG_0158.jpg
IMG_0159.jpg
New Image.JPG

Now just need to find a friendly welder to do the job. Has anyone tried using castor wheels before ?

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Thanks Bushman, guy in office who is a bit of an engineer reckons it will work if we bolt casters straight on to rear bumper bar, would be easiest and least costly to do, but would the bar be strong enough ?

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Thanks Bushman, guy in office who is a bit of an engineer reckons it will work if we bolt casters straight on to rear bumper bar, would be easiest and least costly to do, but would the bar be strong enough ?

like BM says i too would be lgpoing for larger diameter wheels and yes too seeing vans with them on the rear. for how long a distance will they be on the casters? will the van need a some one to guide it while it is on the casters?
wouldnt use them on the rear bar, i'd look into making up spacers to give the required gap to clear the rear bar then weld it all in. keep us posted KC.

Reactions: Klugerclan

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Thanks KC,

The distance on the casters should only be for 2 - 3 metres, and went for the smaller diameter as looked stronger, even though they all are rated. Now I have pushed in the bumper some more I think the main wheels will still be in contact with the ground, but the suspension / tyres will have dropped and still be in contact with the ground, think it will be a 'suck it and see' with wood handy on the day.

I agree with your comments on chassis spacers, in an ideal world I would devise some drop down hinge system, so we can store them out of the way when not in use.

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Thanks Pace and Capt. Gadget, been busy of late, have been working on my driveway widening the gates, should be finished this weekend and then back to the castor wheels. The plan is now to buy a metal tube, and span across the van and bolt onto the chassis. I am going to weld the castor wheels to the tube which in theory can be removed when not needed (ie not take up any valuable weight on the longer trips). This should give the strength needed, each castor is rated for 350 kg, and could not get a bigger castor wheel which could carry this load. The van is booked in for mid March, so before I ask my neighbour to get the van back out, I am hoping to have all done. Will keep you posted.