17' Series Great site

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome to the forum @DWWood
Plenty of reading on here to keep you occupied while you wait for the van to arrive ;)

Ask away and someone will answer... Might not get the answers you want but you will get some :D

Looking forward to pics of the van and your trips!

Reactions: bigcol and DWWood

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
:welcome:..............you will certainly get decent advice, digs and laughter here, we are quite adept at showing you how to open your wallet and spend on your new toy..............................oh and don't forget the pics.....

Ask away and join the party.....:tea:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome @DWWood

need to fill in the questionnaire please.............

Tow Vehicle
we know what type of Van
do you have a large yard
can your kitchen fit 20+ people in it at breakfast time
do you have a coffee machine / coffee pod machine / instant coffee

all good, I hope you have had a decent break controller fitted - lots of good feed back on the Redarc Tow Pro

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and when you get your brake controller set up, it's set and forget about it, if you fiddle with it while driving you might die.......................mine is set and I forget about it, if I have to grab it, then things are a bit iffy but my controller is in reach and I can steer/drive while reefing the panic button.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
one thing I have learnt (probably the hard way over the years) when you go to load the Van with all your essentials

put a little dot one EVERYTHING (you get from the News Agent, pkt of 100 = $2.50)
as you use everything take the little dot off - so you know it was used (as well as memory)

after your 2nd or 3rd trip
anything with a dot on it, means it has not been used and not needed to be carted around (exceptions to the rule, Cutlery, cup / mugs) so turf it out

those tennis rackets & balls, if you dont use them, why carry them

I also have 2 boxes of Winter gear (extra towels & clothing and other bits and bobs)
and 2 boxes of summer gear (bathers, sun block, and other bits and bobs)

just a few ideas for you to think about....................

Reactions: Dropbear and dagree

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
Great suggestion. We haven't even got the van yet (pick it up in the morning) but the missus has got half the house packed stating it's all necessities. I did question her need to pack the Dyson vacuum and 16 pots...

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
on another thread I let slip what we carry

1 x big frying pan (can use on fire as well)
1 x small frying pan (skillet sized) (use on fire as well)
1 x medium pot (use on fire as well)
1 x big electric frying pan (rectangle shape)
1 x medium electric skillet (rectangle shape)
1/2 doz assorted (plastic) mixing bowls (microwave safe)

some people have brought those square shaped pot sets they sell at Caravan places - about as useful as long pockets with short arm in my opinion

everything we have has at least 2 uses
pots & pans can be used on a fire
big elec frying pan doubles as our oven for cakes etc

all takes time to fine tune what you need V's what you want V's what you use

Reactions: dagree and DWWood

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Once a year I take everything out of the van. I then clean it thoroughly to keep ants etc out or discouraged and we can then reassess what goes back in. Amazing what you leave out or make 'seasonal' and the weight you save.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
And amazing what you find!

I found three sets of binoculars. Lost the first set (I thought) replaced them as we simply had to have them, then couldn't find them (thought I'd left them hanging off a tree in SA so reluctantly bought another lot.

Found all three when I cleaned out the van.

I won't mention the rusted tins of tomatoes.

That's at least 5kgs saved.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
No wonder your so weight concious @Dobbie . you must carry a lot of stuff...................I was being polite....................also tongue in cheek, it's taken me this long to work a reply.