Good Morning , Good Afternoon , Good Evening

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Not sure what is worse working 12 hour days or being a self funded retiree trying to catch a fish
0D741B50-91F7-460A-BD49-3A14E549D13C.jpeg
961500DB-3DA9-4931-853D-829289EEF23F.jpeg
8-)

Attachments

• 652044B7-AD5A-4AD4-9143-1FF9C35B1CB2.jpeg
    652044B7-AD5A-4AD4-9143-1FF9C35B1CB2.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 198

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Not sure what is worse working 12 hour days or being a self funded retiree trying to catch a fish View attachment 63659View attachment 636608-)
20 mph at 5000rpm, your taking too long to get out to where the fish are at that pace, and making way too much noise at that rpm .... you need a little 15/18hp Merc/Tohatsu. Vroom Vroom. Actually, I picked up the Tohatsu mod parts for the Merc, so Ill be going faster soon'ish

Reactions: Drover and DRW

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Ah the old Merchatsu sounds like a keeper, don't take any notice of the speedo, she does 27Knots at 6,000rpm which doesn't really help find any fish :-(
It's a pity @Crusty181 I didn't know you were coming last time, I have a long spare concrete driveway with water and 15A power, a shower and toilet in the shed with laundry, we could have taken the kids fishing or heaven forbid taken the kyaks out, they haven't been used since @chartrock came up a couple of years ago.We went out to the 8 mile a couple of weeks ago, caught heaps of small Squire and everytime we caught one a dolphin appeared next to the boat waiting for a free feed, I recon @Drover sent it up from Tin Can, it would come right up next to the boat and just look at us until we threw it back, the last one I caught I actually hand fed it, yep I guess I don't really miss work that much after all(even though I still work from home part time)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep, that sounds like the fella that follows me around a bit, haven't been out for awhile so he's found another sucker...............I know my 40HP Yamaha would do 27 knots easy peasy, just not sure if the Busta and me could handle it, 22knots and we are flying along and I'm thinking a bit more air underneath and we are birds........Nearly went out today but some lurgy got me...........

Reactions: DRW

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ah the old Merchatsu sounds like a keeper, don't take any notice of the speedo, she does 27Knots at 6,000rpm which doesn't really help find any fish :-(
It's a pity @Crusty181 I didn't know you were coming last time, I have a long spare concrete driveway with water and 15A power, a shower and toilet in the shed with laundry, we could have taken the kids fishing or heaven forbid taken the kyaks out, they haven't been used since @chartrock came up a couple of years ago.We went out to the 8 mile a couple of weeks ago, caught heaps of small Squire and everytime we caught one a dolphin appeared next to the boat waiting for a free feed, I recon @Drover sent it up from Tin Can, it would come right up next to the boat and just look at us until we threw it back, the last one I caught I actually hand fed it, yep I guess I don't really miss work that much after all(even though I still work from home part time)
Ill be back up there soon enough. The Princess is a very keen fish'er ... person. I may have to withdraw from the speed check, I collected what was supposed to a 18hp throttle cam but its identical to the one on the motor already, so a bit of home work I suspect. Sunday down here is the pick after having no reprieve from the wind for 2 weeks.

Reactions: mfexpanda and DRW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I reckon you earn every cent @Bluey, I wouldn't be able to handle the train ride and all the living in the city/suburbia stuff, while I never got paid much for my 6 day weeks I went to work travelling the 27kms by myself, drove my truck around by myself and hardly ever saw a traffic light, worked mostly with Farmers and they are usually a wonderful lot to work with, mind I would never want to work for them though, quite a few asked me too when they found out i was leaving but I said they couldn't afford me..............................

You will certainly want to get that engine beefed up @Crusty181 in some places up here the outgoing tide would take you out with it.....

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I feel so sorry for you working so hard on your own a man once said life wasnt ment to be easy ! Poor baby things must be good in the working on your own skam saveing all the wages some just dont pay them ask a certin chef to the tune of 8 mil then get a 2 hundread thousand buck fine its a good lurk dont forget your gloves safty glasses and hard hat keep lifting and hurry up
The train is so good in the morning such a diverse group of people all shareing the same cattle truck rideing the rails in harmony ......i carnt wright what i realy think
I appreciate your kind thoughts, I might lay off on the Valiant roof rack for a while ;)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ok @DRW, seems the Tohatsu dealer and factory authorised repairer and service guy got it completely wrong with the throttle cam, mixing wrong parts in completely incompatible motors is probably only a minor issue, its not like my motor is brand new and at the beginning of its long 6 year Merc warranty ..... oh whoops, yes it is. A dummy with access to the internet can find the correct part number through a series of overseas web sites, but the Tohatsu guy with direct local Tohatsu access cant. Thanks Tohatsu guys. I can feel our strong relationship weakening

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The 20hr or yearly service on the Yamaha is $395, for that I get a oil and fuel filter change, gearbox and engine oil change and 4 squirts of a grease gun, they are also supposed to grease the throw out gear on the starter, its had 3 services and no grease near the starter, this year, actually next month, my favourite, reliable, cheap mechanic is going to do the job for about $100, then we will know for sure the oil and filters get changed, if I got it serviced where I bought it their 6 year warranty would still run for another few years but thats a 200km or so round trip, nah........... besides I don't trust people top do it properly....

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Im pretty sure the yearly service is only $200 so not such a issue to protect I can no longer replace, and preserve the 6 year warranty. You right in one regard, probably nothing will happen to it, but that said spending all its life in salt water should something you don't see go only a tiny bit pear shaped, that can have potentially catastrophic problems if no-one looks. With the death of 2 strokes, my motor will hold its value for sometime particularly, like a car, if I have an otherwise useless book with otherwise useless black stamps in it.

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Good Afternoon workers .......................... Today was day 5 of the great Telstra Battle of 2019 and I am pleased to say I came out Victorious, one phone call to Ah Poo then the rest as emails, as I said to them so I can document my report to the Ombudsman ( also as I had no idea what was being said to me, like talking to a Scot or Irish fella) anyway the great Ripp Off was fixed, I got my Mobile Broadband service upgraded and didn't get hit for some bogus payout figure for something I didn't want, all in all a great outcome went from 30Gb for $59 to 50Gb for $50 ................... and feeling magnaminous I won't do a report to the Ombudsman................

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Well, I spent the last few days planning and partly executing operation Wheel Bearings. Replaced front wheel bearings on early holdens so many times I could have done it with my eyes shut. But 45 odd years have passed, so I expected to have become a little rusty.

Yesterday was crunch day, off came the grease cap, split pin, castle nut, washer, outer bearing and then the hub. All as I remembered it. Well, I have to admit I had the assistance of my next door neighbour, a retired fitter and turner with a workshop others would dream about. And a early Ford and VW enthusiast as well.
Then the inspection. Hmmm. I expected that at the 12 moonth service that repacking bearings would have meant pulling them out, cleaning them, checking, and replacing them. They may have done that, I am not sure. But I am sure that the outer bearing had nice new baby bog coloured grease and the inner bearing had greeny blue grease and looked a lot older. Go figure.

Anyway, nice clean bearings, nice shiny cones, and a shiny clean hub. Lots of dirty greasy rags. Bought a tub of Castrol HTB2 grease and repacked, reinstalled, and farted around adjusting the brakes with a screw driver, ill fitted to the task. Got a brainwave last night and made a really snazzy brake adjuster from an unused table fork. I might patent it!

Other good news is there is hardly any brake wear after 30,000 km. Not surprising, considering how I drive!

This morning cleaned the wheel, and scrubed all inside the wheel well. Discovered that where the plastic wheel arch meets the body is not sealed. Ran a bead of roof and gutter sealant around it.

Got so carried away this afternoon, I put the wheel back on put the van back down and took the wheel off the other side. Then I ran out of steam.

Another win was that my neighbour handed me two unused sets of Ford SL bearings and a handful of split pins. The bearings are SKF so I assume they are good ones. Then on eBay I found a place to get Trojan bearing seals for $1 each.

Stay tuned for the next episode.

cheers
Mike

Last edited:

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Well, I spent the last few days planning and partly executing operation Wheel Bearings. Replaced front wheel bearings on early holdens so many times I could have done it with my eyes shut. But 45 odd years have passed, so I expected to have become a little rusty.

Yesterday was crunch day, off came the grease cap, split pin, castle nut, washer, outer bearing and then the hub. All as I remembered it. Well, I have to admit I had the assistance of my next door neighbour, a retired fitter and turner with a workshop others would dream about. And a early Ford and VW enthusiast as well.
Then the inspection. Hmmm. I expected that at the 12 moonth service that repacking bearings would have meant pulling them out, cleaning them, checking, and replacing them. They may have done that, I am not sure. But I am sure that the outer bearing had nice new baby bog coloured grease and the inner bearing had greeny blue grease and looked a lot older. Go figure.

Anyway, nice clean bearings, nice shiny cones, and a shiny clean hub. Lots of dirty greasy rags. Bought a tub of Castrol HTB2 grease and repacked, reinstalled, and farted around adjusting the brakes with a screw driver, ill fitted to the task. Got a brainwave last night and made a really snazzy brake adjuster from an used table fork. I might patent it!

Other good news is there is hardly any brake wear after 30,000 km. Not surprising, considering how I drive!

This morning cleaned the wheel, and scrubed all inside the wheel well. Discovered that where the plastic wheel arch meets the body is not sealed. Ran a bead of roof and gutter sealant around it.

Got so carried away this afternoon, I put the wheel back on put the van back down and took the wheel off the other side. Then I ran out of steam.

Another win was that my neighbour handed me to two unused sets of Ford SL bearings and a handful of split pins. The bearings are SKF so I assume they are good ones. Then on eBay I found a place top get Trojan bearing seals for $1 each.

Stay tuned for the next episode.

cheers
Mike

@mikerezny , your enthusiasm knows no bounds. I watch my Mobile Mechanic/caravan guy do mine at my residence and he did a good job, and I kept my hands clean. I have a bearing packer - one that you put on a tapered cone - and all I have to do is connect up the grease gun and pump the grease into it. Comes out very evenly around all the rollers and bearing cage etc, and no messy greasy hands and palms. I too have manually adjusted brakes with a modified (bent) screw driver, so your patent is too late!! Noted the lack of sealing where plastic wheel arch meets body on your van. Will have a good look at mine when I replace tyres in the next couple of months. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
There is a tool which you use for removing paint tin lids, it has a flattened end, you just narrow it and bingo the perfect tool for adjusting brakes, discovered years ago when I lost the bit of flat bar my Dad made me over 40 yrs ago which was about the same shape..... Learnt how to swear doing Cruiser and G60 brakes, Landrovers were a dream, well designed.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I looked at that and actually thought I should highlight that, someone may miss read it ................. I thought the border Force was to keep your Greenie Wierdos from leaving.

Reactions: DRW