Glenn & Coral's Jayco Basestation 23.73.6 OB

glenntwenty

Feb 8, 2015
"It's too big" my wife said when she saw it for the first time (our new Basestation hooked up to the Landcruiser 200 that is).

Basestation.jpg

And, it is big, especially given we have no previous caravan experience. However, we took it away to Seaspray on Ninety Mile Beach on the weekend and the whole family gave it a big tick.

I picked up lots of good advice from this forum but there is nothing like actually getting out there, we came away with a list of lots of little things to fix for next time ... from remembering to bring a salad bowl to getting Jayco to look at a small leak in one of the water tanks. First on the list though is a mattress topper as the kid's bunks at the back are more comfortable than the double bed!

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Congrats on another Basestation joining the forum.
We love ours and have done over 10,000km and 55 nights in a year and half of owning it.
What toys are you planning on carrying in the back of it?
Love the new graphics - first time I've seen those.
Remember to keep the photos coming and we'll help you to spend your time and money on mods.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Very interesting new graphics indeed! And yep, welcome to the forum @glennhoen. I still have a soft spot for the BS and part of me is still sad we don't have one. I'm angling at perhaps an older style W&P when we downgrade. See how we go.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
If the only thing you forgot was the salad bowl, you're doing well!

:brushteeth::welcome:

We once forgot the coffee, the kettle and the plates...and couldn't get replacements or takeaways.

I was fit to be tied without my coffee.

Be warned..again...those Westralians are in a different time zone so have different opportunities to sneak up on you and convince you to spend money.

Resistance is difficult, pointless and expensive.

(@dagree wants me to test a tpms then donate it to him....I'm at the resistance stage)

Last edited:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
how did you go with the nerves and such on the first drive with family in the car?

didnt think about it and zoomed off into the sunset
or

very gently until you realised you were keeping up with the traffic, then stressed

glenntwenty

Feb 8, 2015
Thanks everyone.

What toys are you planning on carrying in the back of it?

The main reason we chose the Basestation was for the four bunk beds in the back. On the weekend we took 5 push bikes which tied down easily, no other toys (at this stage ;)).

Very interesting new graphics indeed!
I was wondering about that - it was ex-demo from Jayco marketing team, it listed as the 2016 model but I thought the graphics were different - wasn't sure if the were newer or older though. Happy either way.

how did you go with the nerves and such on the first drive with family in the car?
The stress levels were up and down like a yo-yo. The multi-lane freeways/highways were easy as but doing a u-turn to get to a service station was a bit tense! The single lane, winding road into Seaspray with cross winds wasn't that fun and nor was getting in out of the driveway. Thankfully I got to drive in and out of our site at the caravan parking this time so I have a bit longer to practice my reversing skills. I had taken it for a short drive on my own to get a feel of it but the family in the back definitely raises the stakes a bit.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
good on you!

We collected our new van yesterday ...details later, sometime...and left the dealer thinking "thank god that's over..gee it's hot". We hit the motorway gently then remembered the Clearviews had to be extended.

Mmmmmm....but easily fixed and easy to lose track.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
well, I would suggest for your reversing

take it to a near by shopping centre on a Sunday (hopefully shops shut) and just practice, practice and more practice

pain in the proverbial, but, good way to try to learn

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Congrats on the new addition to the family @glennhoen

"It's too big" my wife said when she saw it for the first time
And they say size doesn't matter? ;)
Would have been a bit nervous the first time out but after a while it will be as if it's not even behind you (Until you hit a hill lol
Resistance is difficult, pointless and expensive.

(@dagree wants me to test a tpms then donate it to him....I'm at the resistance stage)
Offer is now down to 40% of purchase price @Dobbie 8-) :D

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@glennhoen nice van, and why bugger around with tents, trailers and little vans ... go straight to the top, you'll end up there eventually anyway, you've saved a fortune, well done

A friend of mine has a canvas annex style room that attaches to the rear of the van and encloses the open tailgate .... makes the van seem about 300ft long. The kids have the entire rear section to spread out in

glenntwenty

Feb 8, 2015
Ha ha @Crusty181, we did do the tent thing a few times so may not have saved that much money!

I've seen a picture of the rear annexe and it's definitely on the wish list.

Reactions: bigcol

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Hello
My Basestation is also the first caravan I towed and yes they are big.

Post some more pictures of your Basestation, would love to see more of it.
Love the graphic's and enjoy the New van.

Last edited:

M Cressey

Mar 9, 2014
New Zealand
Kiwi base station owner here, we are onto our second basey they are the best, away in it at the moment with the wife, 2 teenagers the dog and a garage full of toys, 3 paddle boards 2 mini mal surfboards and a whole lot of other stuff we won't need but take just in case. Sitting having a Nespresso coffee and burnt grilled muffins just to remind me we are camping. We regularly spend up to 50 nights a year away in ours and don't even unpack our cloths or dry food. Drop us a line if you have any questions. Have fun in your new home away from home