Exterior Girard Endless Tankless Hot Water

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Hi All,

I'm looking at getting some hot water for our 14.44.4 at some stage and just researching some options.

Has anyone had much to do with the Girard Endless/Tankless hot water systems?

I like the joocla style but want it mounted in the van, ie in the side like a surburban/girard can be, don't really want anything hanging of the drawbar or rear bar.

The first gen of the Girard's seemed to have a few issues with water temp control but the later gen seems to be better with its temp control dial that they now have fitted.

I like the idea of them due to less weight, no anode to corrode and maybe a bit less gas consumption plus alot less chance of running out of hot water.

Downside i see is no 240v heating function for use at powered sites, but due to our 14.44 having no internal shower it will only be used for our outdoor shower with a tent when free camping. We use the caravan park facilities for showers when at powered sites.

I would go with a remote unit like the joocla or coleman etc but its one more thing to setup and store....

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Can't help with Girard system. But we have a Joolca permanently mounted on rear bar with an extra ext gas point. Have a quick release gas hose so it only takes as long to set up as it does to walk up and connect a hose to it. I have a hose ran permanently under the van which can connect up to the draw bar tap to run the shower. Draw bar tap is either tank water or mains depends where we are so no extra hoses on the ground.

Again it's not really what you asked but if you have no luck with the Girard system I recommend the Joolca set up.

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Can't help with Girard system. But we have a Joolca permanently mounted on rear bar with an extra ext gas point. Have a quick release gas hose so it only takes as long to set up as it does to walk up and connect a hose to it. I have a hose ran permanently under the van which can connect up to the draw bar tap to run the shower. Draw bar tap is either tank water or mains depends where we are so no extra hoses on the ground.

Again it's not really what you asked but if you have no luck with the Girard system I recommend the Joolca set up.

All good, like you said not exactly what i asked but i think its still a good option and may well end up being something like we do. I guess really i just want something tucked away and not mounted outside. Maybe i could just cut a hole in the side of the van where the hotwater system normally goes on the 14.44 expanda, make a little internal box/compartment with a door on the outside and hard mount a joolca type unit in there....
I think $850 is quite alot of money for a Girard instantaneous system when its pretty much the same thing as the joolca which is half the price...
And really, its only going to be used to run an outside shower for us anyway. We will still boil the kettle on the gas stove inside for any time we need hot water.

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Just as a side note, you could easily t in a outside system like a Joolca and run hot water inside too if that was important. We don't and while we were camped near snow last month the water was cold. I ended up boiling water in kettle to warm up sink water while washing up. If this became the norm I'd plumb in the Joolca for inside but I don't think we will camp near snow too often so won't worry.