Electrical Generators

Big Al

Jul 23, 2012
Hi all this question has been asked before but I can't find it . I have a 2012 16.49.1 outback expanda.I. Was wandering what size generator I would have to run to run my air con which is the heron wall version.Some people say you can run a 2000 w generator and other people say you can't very confused.Is there different forms of 2000 w generators. My next question is if you can run a 2000 w generator have people seen the lastest Aldi one which is a Work zone Titanium. Does anybody know anything about them.

navmatt

Jan 20, 2014
Ayr/Glenden Nth Qld
We have a Yamaha 2.4, I did try my dads Honda 2 and it ran it fine but was working pretty hard unde load and found the Yamaha quieter under load. I have heard the 2kva's struggle in high temps so being in Nth Qld I went the bigger to handle the pace. It is 10kgs heavier so take that into account as well. We went with a known brand for longetivity, warranty and piece of mind as I use it elsewhere as well.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi all this question has been asked before but I can't find it . I have a 2012 16.49.1 outback expanda.I. Was wandering what size generator I would have to run to run my air con which is the heron wall version.Some people say you can run a 2000 w generator and other people say you can't very confused.Is there different forms of 2000 w generators. My next question is if you can run a 2000 w generator have people seen the lastest Aldi one which is a Work zone Titanium. Does anybody know anything about them.
We ran the Herron in our 2009 16.49.1 on our Kipor 2kW without any issues. I think from memory the test meter had it peaking out at around 1100 or 1200w, well within the capabilities of a 2kW genset.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Have the Herron split unit in our van and our Honda eu20 will run the air con but will not run the heater mode. I believe the heater is a 2400w element and not reverse cycle.

Bj.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My 2Kva Honda will run mine, even on eco mode once everything is warmed up, the secret is to have the genny running for a bit to get it warmed up then turn on the AC but not on full cool at first, you really know when the compressor kicks in.
I think if I was going to use the AC very often I would go a 2.4 or 3kva job just so it wouldn't be working hard.
My 2.5kva non inverter genny though doesn't like to run it at all it roars away like all get out, would drive you nuts.

Big Al

Jul 23, 2012
Thanks for all the replys.Its funny how many different stories you get. I did a little more research since I first posted this message.I was told I should ring heron them selves and ask the question so I did. They said not to use a 2kva generator as the start up on the air con exceeds the power of the generator.they said the running power is approx 1560w. They advised I should have at least a 2800w to cope with the start up especially on hot days when the aircon compressor is cutting in and out .I was going to buy a 2000w but not so sure now.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks for all the replys.Its funny how many different stories you get. I did a little more research since I first posted this message.I was told I should ring heron them selves and ask the question so I did. They said not to use a 2kva generator as the start up on the air con exceeds the power of the generator.they said the running power is approx 1560w. They advised I should have at least a 2800w to cope with the start up especially on hot days when the aircon compressor is cutting in and out .I was going to buy a 2000w but not so sure now.
For what its worth @Big Al I did the same thing; ringing Air Command, and was told the same thing about the capacity ... and the start up ... and the rest, but my my Herron ran without a single issue on the Kipor 2kW, and my Herron was 3 years older than yours. There seems to be some inconsistencies btw individual aircons of the same type and btw individual generators of the same type. On the limits of each theres a "grey area" where some generators are more fickle with output, and some aircons pull a little too much power.

I tested my aircon with a amp meter running off the generator and it didn't hit anywhere near the figures quoted to me by AIrcommand. I wanted to stick with the 2kW because anything bigger wouldnt fit in the van, but its a gamble I suppose. Where do you live; Im sure theres someone handy with a 2kW generator to test it on your aircon with.

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree and Drover