Generators????

Jodie25

Nov 10, 2010
picasaweb.google.com
any one use Generators. we worked out we need around 3.5Kw.
anything we should look for?
what did you buy?
what were your problems/ successes?
anything else??

Happy New Year too!!

Jodie25
Kia Grand Carnival towing 16-49-3.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
G'day Jodie

don't have a generator myself (yet) bit the Honda 20 or the Yamaha equivalent is the most common amongst the vanning community.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
My travelling mate takes a 1Kw Kipor whichhas been adequate for us but he is now planning to get a 2Kw Honda so he can run his van's microwave and toaster (not at the same time). I think if you get a 3.5Kw, it will be extremely big and heavy. What are you planning to run that will require that much output?

Paul

Jodie25

Nov 10, 2010
picasaweb.google.com
Hey paul,

creature comforts of a/c. I have 3 young kids who have trouble with heat. - let alone having a hot grumpy mummy :)
Amazingly the gen I am looking at has a dry weight of 29kg. so add about another 8 for oil and petrol. Db at 7 metres of around 59 (about the same as adults talking).

would love to go honda but they are big money around $3500, so for under $1k with a 12 month warranty I am tempted to try the "cheap" brand.

Jodie

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi Jodie,
By 'cheap' I hope you don't mean a "Scorpion" or similar. I tried a 1Kv version of those and it would not drive a small fluro lamp. can you supply some more details on what you will get for 'under $1k'. Also apologies if I seem remiss in any replies as I am away from home and relying on friends or internet cafes for internet time. Unsure about how to get back to the Gold Coast from Sydney as Pacific Hwy cut at Grafton and New England blocked at Warwick. Will wait till the weekend to try.

Paul

deanleah

Mar 12, 2011
Hi, i opted to buy a bbta 2.5kw inverter generator from ebay for $500, i can honestly tell you that best thing ever. we use it on our heater/cooler/microwave on the expanda. has not missed a beat. friends of our bought their honda they paid $2500 for and for the little size difference they looked a little peed off with us when we compared the units. i cant justify paying that sort of cash either. hey id love a honda too but not the price.

desphe

Aug 1, 2010
Generator for Expanda

Hi deanleah,
I have just purchased a new Expanda with a roof mounted Air Conditioner. Do you have the same type? I am looking to buy a similar generator as you and would like to know if you are happy with the unit and if it works well with the setup.
Regards
Desphe

deanleah

Mar 12, 2011
Hi desphe
the aircon on my expanda is not roof mounted, just the small one on the inside above the sink but we leave it on the low setting (doesnt rev loud) and works very well with the bbta geni on those very humid days. i am extremely happy with the set up and all for $500, its great. we only use it for the aircon/heater/microwave everything else is batteries/solar. i was talking to a friend who bought the same unit and he said you can get parts in australia and servicing is easy. Im not spam, just a happy customer.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day All. BBT has a 4.4Kv generator on ebay at the moment for $649 with free delivery. There website has a 2.5Kv for $550 plus $80 delivery and a 3.5Kv for $680 plus $80 delivery. All weights are basically the same, (2 at 29Kg & 1 at 30Kg). I find it all hard to believe but I am still tempted to by a 2.5Kv as I can't justify 4.4Kv even if they are almost the same price.
regards
Paul

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Have a look at www.genquip.com.au , these are a rebadged kipor that get pretty good write ups and are about $1000 cheaper that the Honda or Yamaha alternative. They have a 2 year warranty and make the same noise as the Honda & Yamaha.
2000 watts should be plenty as long as you don't run it all at once. My 150l fridge draws under 1 amp on 240 volt, the split system AC is about 4amps on cooling and a 1000 watt micowave is about 5 amps. Get yourself a stove top kettle (that whistles) and a low wattage toaster and you'll be fine.