Generators - which model and why?

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Hey guys and girls.

Still waiting to P/U the van and take it on the maiden voyage (20-64.1 OB). Little bit of background is we are a family of 5 – My Wife, 3 kids (currently 11, 9 and soon to be 6) and myself.

This is an upgrade from our current soft floor camper so we are trying to make sure we “get it right” first time and have all the added luxury we want. We are trying to ensure when we are ready (probably not for few years) we will be good to get away for a few months – maybe to Uluru, maybe from east to west, maybe from south to North. Who knows.

Anyway – back on topic. I melt in the heat – anything above 35 for consecutive days and I think I will hate it. We have an air con but when free camping can’t run it  The maiden voyage is up to NSW in Jan for a few weeks, but as I booked so late all we have managed to secure thus far is an unpowered site. Hoping for an upgrade if someone pulls out now the fees are due in full.

I’m prepared to buy a generator to make sure we can run the air-con (should we be at an unpowered Caravan site, free camping, etc) and make sure the first trip ins enjoyable by all.

My car is diesel and the heater we will put in (down the track) will most likely be diesel as well. Having a generator that runs the same fuel type seems ideal but I am struggling to find a unit comparable to petrol ones.

Do they exist?

So far I have started looking at the Honda EU2000i and Yamaha EF2000IS. Am I on the right track? Any others I should consider? Quiet operation, reliability and manufacturer backing are all important to me.

Thanks in Advance.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Diesel generators are $$$ look cummins or onan. Not easily portable . I think for a big A/C unit I'd run a Yamaha 2400 think the 2s will struggle a bit? The best I've see lately is the dometic one designed to be built in. It's a Honda 160 motor in a soundproof enclosure and is at least 2.8 Kva remote start too. It's awesome but is $$$$

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Diesel generators are $$$ look cummins or onan. Not easily portable . I think for a big A/C unit I'd run a Yamaha 2400 think the 2s will struggle a bit? The best I've see lately is the dometic one designed to be built in. It's a Honda 160 motor in a soundproof enclosure and is at least 2.8 Kva remote start too. It's awesome but is $$$$
Claims at the recent 4x4 show (I forget who's stand it was) are that the Honda EU2000i would run "any caravan on the market". I guessing there are some caveats here in the fine print (don't boil a kettle, run the stove, use the microwave, etc all at the same time...) but I would think that with such a claim the 2000W should be enough. Do I need to look bigger?

Honestly, it will be for the aircon and possibly a kettle (however the kettle could just as easy be boiled on the stove using gas).

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Claims at the recent 4x4 show (I forget who's stand it was) are that the Honda EU2000i would run "any caravan on the market". I guessing there are some caveats here in the fine print (don't boil a kettle, run the stove, use the microwave, etc all at the same time...) but I would think that with such a claim the 2000W should be enough. Do I need to look bigger?

Honestly, it will be for the aircon and possibly a kettle (however the kettle could just as easy be boiled on the stove using gas).

Yeah I don't know. I have the eu 2.0 and it's good. I just thought somebody somewhere had issues with an A/C I don't run the A/C much and don't think ever of the gen. Maybe ask in the caravaners forum lot more over there . For the few dollars more I'd go the Yamaha 2.4. I think Yamaha is generally better than Hondas being newer models

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Hey guys and girls.

Still waiting to P/U the van and take it on the maiden voyage (20-64.1 OB). Little bit of background is we are a family of 5 – My Wife, 3 kids (currently 11, 9 and soon to be 6) and myself.

This is an upgrade from our current soft floor camper so we are trying to make sure we “get it right” first time and have all the added luxury we want. We are trying to ensure when we are ready (probably not for few years) we will be good to get away for a few months – maybe to Uluru, maybe from east to west, maybe from south to North. Who knows.

Anyway – back on topic. I melt in the heat – anything above 35 for consecutive days and I think I will hate it. We have an air con but when free camping can’t run it  The maiden voyage is up to NSW in Jan for a few weeks, but as I booked so late all we have managed to secure thus far is an unpowered site. Hoping for an upgrade if someone pulls out now the fees are due in full.

I’m prepared to buy a generator to make sure we can run the air-con (should we be at an unpowered Caravan site, free camping, etc) and make sure the first trip ins enjoyable by all.

My car is diesel and the heater we will put in (down the track) will most likely be diesel as well. Having a generator that runs the same fuel type seems ideal but I am struggling to find a unit comparable to petrol ones.

Do they exist?

So far I have started looking at the Honda EU2000i and Yamaha EF2000IS. Am I on the right track? Any others I should consider? Quiet operation, reliability and manufacturer backing are all important to me.

Thanks in Advance.

Have you thought about LPG generators such as these:
http://www.elgas.com.au/for-home/lpg-portable-power-generator-home-sale

We do not have one and have no experience of one, but we do like the idea of using LPG and carrying only the one fuel, which we already have in the caravan. Diesel generators do exist, but they are usually very heavy and quite expensive and often used for stationary backup power.

Reactions: achjimmy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would go for a Honda 3 or Yamaha 2.4 at the minimum, my Honda2kva would run the AC in my old 14.44.3 but that was all, it required a certain way to set things up as well, my standard old style genny a 2.3kva wouldn't run it, the Honda 2 just runs my Dometec 3000 unit in Big Mal but doesn't like doing it and will cut out.......only did a check on it once...............the Honda 2 ran, 2 fridges, computer and a washing machine but baulked at the kettle being turned on...........

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Have you thought about LPG generators such as these:
http://www.elgas.com.au/for-home/lpg-portable-power-generator-home-sale

We do not have one and have no experience of one, but we do like the idea of using LPG and carrying only the one fuel, which we already have in the caravan. Diesel generators do exist, but they are usually very heavy and quite expensive and often used for stationary backup power.
From a quick look at the link they seem like heavy bulky units. And can chew though a bottle of gas in a day.

Reactions: Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Keep in mind that a lot of caravan parks (or other guests) might have a problem with you running a genny, there are also a lot of free camps and national parks where they cannot be used.

I would definately agree that most caravan parks would not allow generators in an unpowered site.....and so they should, in my humble opinion.

Also national parks. I can't think of one NSW NP that allows generators so that might influence your choice a bit.

Enjoy the new van.

I'd suggest you investigate some good 12v fans.

:welcome:

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
We have the Honda 2.0 and it runs the Truma aircon on the Starcraft but wouldn't run the heron in our last expanda. The Yam My 2.4 would be the pick for size and ease of use I think and as @WHHEMI you won't be allowed to run a gennie on an unpowered site in a van park.

Reactions: Drover

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
If you are going to use a generator on your caravan do yourself and your loved ones a favour and have the vans RCD replaced with an RVD, RCD's can’t work when you are powering your caravan with a generator but RVD's will.

I brought one and had a electrician fit it for me as soon as I brought a generator for our van, at the end of the day its pretty cheap insurance if something goes wrong, see link below.

http://www.safelec.com.au/product/residual-voltage-device-rvd/

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats another thing on the To Do List @Axl , one of those been meaning to things......................I have come across a couple of unpowered park areas where you could run a Gennie during certain hours but only in a certain area and it was a big park, some free camps will throw rocks at you.................if it's too hot whats the use of locking yourself up in the van, hook up and go somewhere better or local pub or shopping centre......

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I know I'm wandering off topic but when my mains lead had an earth fault the RCD didn't trip, I only found the problem after a tickle on my hand from the chassis......so would an RVD sense it and trip ??????...........@boots33 or @yabbietol

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@Macca_75 I have one of these https://outbaxcamping.com.au/campin...inverter-generator-remote-electric-start.html

It runs the A/C on my 21 fine and will run the microwave at the same time.

Not as quiet as a Honda, but I got it for $685 on special and it has remote electric start and and does what it's supposed to.

I have wanted to run it a few times but didn't out of respect for others, but have managed to run it in plenty of other places including a couple of National Parks without issue. It's all about respect for others.

Outbax camping also has some diesel generators on there web site which are very reasonably priced.

Jazdiver

May 26, 2016
Berwick

It's one or the other. The EU20 is only a 1.6kVA set and can only handle the air con load and nothing else. On a hot day, the genset's efficiency decreases rapidly. If you can afford it, go the Yamaha EF2400, or EF2000. Third choice is the smaller lower performing EU20. Still a great set, just not a true 2 kVA.

Reactions: Jamcor

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
If you are going to use a generator on your caravan do yourself and your loved ones a favour and have the vans RCD replaced with an RVD, RCD's can’t work when you are powering your caravan with a generator but RVD's will.

I brought one and had a electrician fit it for me as soon as I brought a generator for our van, at the end of the day its pretty cheap insurance if something goes wrong, see link below.

http://www.safelec.com.au/product/residual-voltage-device-rvd/
Got a mate that is a sparkie so I'm sure this will make sense to him ;-) Thanks

Reactions: Axl