17' Series General query on the 17.56 model

Oct 13, 2012
Hi all,

The countdown is on for the pickup of our new 17.56-1 just before Christmas, we have added quite a few options but one thing I do want to ask is regarding the jockey wheel. I asked at the local dealer about the size of the jockey wheel, this being a 6 inch wheel on a 17 foot van and was told this is standard and would be sufficient. However, we had a 6 inch wheel on our Eagle camper which seemed flimsy at best on a significantly smaller van. Has everyone got a 6 inch jockey wheel and find it to be ok or have most upsized to the 8 inch? or is there relatively no difference?

The other query I have is regarding a verandah on the annexe. We have added a 6 foot verandah on the front of our annexe as we also did this on our camper and it was invaluable in the rain. Has anyone currently got this on thier expanda? and if so can you post a couple of pics. Thanks!

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
I assume you are getting a standard?

We have a standard 17.56-2 and find the factory wheel ok. Being a dual axle you can't really move the van on the jockey wheel anyway plus at 2 tonnes loaded you'd need the All Blacks front row to push. I am thinking of getting a stand of some sort for it particularly for storage - there is quite a bit of weight on the JW (about 180 kg or thereabouts).

Can't help with the verandah - sorry.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
I had a solid 6 inch jockey wheel on my camper trailer and ended up bending the threaded shaft trying to move it around on the concrete. It was annoying as it wouldn't turn and I had to lift the drawbar and swivel the wheel with a foot! Ended up buy an Ark 8inch Heavy Duty wheel and is much better and feels easier to move about also. I doubt you will be able to move the 17.56 around on the jockey wheel especially as it is dual axle and won't want to turn sharply.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Jockey wheels don't do much jockeying with a big Expanda. I tried bigger wheel and then couldn't get draw bar low enough to level van. It might fit now I've lifted van another 80-100mm.

salsimo

Mar 14, 2011
Vic sthest Melbourne
This is a zip on verandah we had on our last 17.56.1 and loved it .it was made by alpine but our new van has the same but is not zip on it uses the anti flap to attach and can go on front or rear and our new annex was done by tebbs

Simon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 332
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 336
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 351

salsimo

Mar 14, 2011
Vic sthest Melbourne
No burnsy I went to the dark side after three expandas over the years and one Windsor rapid I have just take delivery of a full size van 22 ft with triple bunks royal flair , a bit shy of putting up photos on an expanda forum

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
No burnsy I went to the dark side after three expandas over the years and one Windsor rapid I have just take delivery of a full size van 22 ft with triple bunks royal flair , a bit shy of putting up photos on an expanda forum
Jayco have been watching you. There's a 20.63-1 with triple bunks in the 2013 line up.

salsimo

Mar 14, 2011
Vic sthest Melbourne
Just thought I put a few photos up of the beast good and bad points about not being jayco

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    938.3 KB · Views: 506
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 327
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 318
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 321
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 339
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 326

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Xpandafan have you seen the new layout
No mate. Just got the description from the sales guy who sold me my FlamingoOB as he checked out the mods on my Expanda and then got the model and price list on Saturday. Got impression bunks were one side and individual shower and toilet opposite but like all things Jayco, let's wait and see. Price $48,125 (OB $50,600) just a bit less than the 18.57-9

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Yeah really nice looking van salismo. Love the colors.
We will end up with something like this as a later life van. We liked the lotus brand. But I am sure there will be heaps more by the time comes around to be buying a van like that.
I especially like the pic of the self portrait art work you have on the wall where it looks like you taking a picture. :)

Reactions: salsimo

salsimo

Mar 14, 2011
Vic sthest Melbourne
stray dingo yes there is a dvd player on each bunk and i got av cables of each run to a cupboard with an arial point so i can put a media centre/set top box in there and they can also watch tv or stuff of media centre but they all need to watch same thing or watch own dvd from there player
They put a new style of roof antenna called a jack you dont wind it up and down just turn it for signal.It also has 4 leds to tell signal .not sure if i like it think wine guard may of been better .