Geelong to daintree rainforest in a 22.68-1 journey outback

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
Hi we are starting to plan our maiden voyage trip in our new journey from Geelong to the daintree rain forest area I'll drive there by myself (2995km) and the better half will fly with the 3 kids in to cairns spend 4 days there and take 26 days to come home down the coast. Also we have never done a trip like this before so any tips would be great also we are trying to work out cost like food, expenditures,ect and what people allow money wise ive ruffly work out fuel costs.
We have 3 kids 11 months, 3 yo and a 5yo and and great places to see or stay would help heaps
Cheers.

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Now thats a good adventure and with the time should be able to cover a few places, I would suggest a couple of weekenders away first to get all the little bits which can evolve to big bits sorted first before a big adventure.....especially with a new rig..............others are more inline with places for family fun and will certainly chime in with great stops.....

Reactions: Tucker

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
Now thats a good adventure and with the time should be able to cover a few places, I would suggest a couple of weekenders away first to get all the little bits which can evolve to big bits sorted first before a big adventure.....especially with a new rig..............others are more inline with places for family fun and will certainly chime in with great stops.....
Thanks we got 2 nights free at the bellarine big 4 and will do a couple of weekends away too just to work out any bugs will be nice to upgrade to the new journey thou
Cheers

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
I'm looking forward to the next thread you create Tucker. Title of that thread will be, "Do you think I'm mad expecting my wife to fly from MEL to CNS with 3 kids ranging from 11 months to 5 yo". That woman will deserve a holiday after that epic trip.
Haha yes she will need a stiff drink once I pick thembup from the airport we just think if I shoot up bye myself we have twice the time to come

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
What dates, as that is very relevant to places you go and can get to.......................................quickest from Geelong would be straight up the inland, less expensive as well even the fuel in the country areas more often is cheaper than the coast. North of Rocky you swim in the enclosed areas at certain times of the year because of stingers but there are other things that bite as well.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I would say inland as well..
You would think the dual lanes on the Hume etc be better, but no you end up with more traffic and more stupid drivers cutting you off every 10 mins :) Then slowing to 90 in front of you :) More bends and more hills as well :)
If you stick to around 100 where most trucks sit then the inland route is more relaxing.
Yes you drive through country towns not around them although if you heading off by yourself it will encourage you to stop have a break.
Only thing to keep a eye on inland is the Roos/Emus and it gets boring between towns. A few you need to watch fuel as 200k+ gaps depends on which route

Reactions: Tucker and Drover

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
Hi Drover and Davemc, I am looking at going inland and they to do 3000km in 3 days looking at leaving Geelong around June 26th and get back to Geelong about july 31st we are going into jayco today as yesterday they got there 1st journey 22.58-1 outback so it would be great to actually see the van after buying it and only going of the 2017 StarCraft they had there
Cheers guys.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
If your doing 1000k a day I assume your either driving early morning or sunset/night.. Do you have a bullbar for the roos?
Just be safe and break when you can.. Lots of free camping along the highway.

Take some pics of the new 22.68 for me while your there :) Be interested to see what it looks like.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That time of year you will driving in the dark morning and evening to cover that distance, hope your used to it. Require good planning for fuel and RONs.

Reactions: Bluey and Tucker

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
It is an easy drive inland and i like the fact that normally the towns are about 100klm apart. 1000klm per day for three days is a lot, but i would be doing the same as you and flying the family to Cairns. At least you can stop when you feel like it and not restricted to towns etc for breaks.
I have dine this route from Melbourne to Brisbane more than I care to remember and have seen roo's so you will need to stay alert, especially at sunrise and sunset.

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
It is an easy drive inland and i like the fact that normally the towns are about 100klm apart. 1000klm per day for three days is a lot, but i would be doing the same as you and flying the family to Cairns. At least you can stop when you feel like it and not restricted to towns etc for breaks.
I have dine this route from Melbourne to Brisbane more than I care to remember and have seen roo's so you will need to stay alert, especially at sunrise and sunset.
Cheers I would work out all good just take my time and cruise up

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Don't refuel at Coonabarabran or Narrabri the price can be 20c/Lt more, Gilgandra and Moree usually good.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Hi we are starting to plan our maiden voyage trip in our new journey from Geelong to the daintree rain forest area I'll drive there by myself (2995km) and the better half will fly with the 3 kids in to cairns spend 4 days there and take 26 days to come home down the coast. Also we have never done a trip like this before so any tips would be great also we are trying to work out cost like food, expenditures,ect and what people allow money wise ive ruffly work out fuel costs.
We have 3 kids 11 months, 3 yo and a 5yo and and great places to see or stay would help heaps
Cheers.

After recently completing our Big Lap, including that very swing down the east coast I'm happy to say you'll have plenty of places to choose from to stop. But if I can offer a few words of advice:
1) 1000km a day with the van on the back is a big ask, even for experienced drivers. The biggest stint we did was from Kangaroo Point to The Marsh in a day, at around 800km. Our PB is 900km from Burra. To back that up with 2 more days in a row would be very taxing and you might end up being knackered by the time you get there. Maybe see if a day extra can be found to shrink them a little more.
2) Be wary of school holidays if you are staying in caravan parks. You'll need to lock in the popular ones in ASAP
3) Fuel is a necessary evil. Don't sweat it and just drive at whatever feels comfortable. Just be mindful of others is all I care about, being one of the 'others'. On the East Coast it's all relatively the same. Some cheaper, some not. I always say, "want to save fuel? Leave the van behind."
4) We travelled comfortably, didn't skimp but didn't splurge, ate out occasionally, etc. Just normal stuff. We mixed between free camps, national parks and caravan parks. Haven't done the full numbers, but it was cheaper than living at home and I reckon worked out at around ~$4000/wk, everything included. I reckon we could have trimmed that by $1000/wk without even trying if we had to, and halved it if we absolutely needed to.
5) Have a plan for the kids in the car particularly the older ones. Unless you're the Michael Phelps of parenting, "winging" it is risky. Are they seasoned travellers? If not, plan more. Particularly your distances.

I'm looking forward to the next thread you create Tucker. Title of that thread will be, "Do you think I'm mad expecting my wife to fly from MEL to CNS with 3 kids ranging from 11 months to 5 yo". That woman will deserve a holiday after that epic trip.

My wife has flow to the UK a few times with our 3.... I think the best was with 10m, 3yr and 5yr old. I mean... insane.

Reactions: Drover and Tucker

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
After recently completing our Big Lap, including that very swing down the east coast I'm happy to say you'll have plenty of places to choose from to stop. But if I can offer a few words of advice:
1) 1000km a day with the van on the back is a big ask, even for experienced drivers. The biggest stint we did was from Kangaroo Point to The Marsh in a day, at around 800km. Our PB is 900km from Burra. To back that up with 2 more days in a row would be very taxing and you might end up being knackered by the time you get there. Maybe see if a day extra can be found to shrink them a little more.
2) Be wary of school holidays if you are staying in caravan parks. You'll need to lock in the popular ones in ASAP
3) Fuel is a necessary evil. Don't sweat it and just drive at whatever feels comfortable. Just be mindful of others is all I care about, being one of the 'others'. On the East Coast it's all relatively the same. Some cheaper, some not. I always say, "want to save fuel? Leave the van behind."
4) We travelled comfortably, didn't skimp but didn't splurge, ate out occasionally, etc. Just normal stuff. We mixed between free camps, national parks and caravan parks. Haven't done the full numbers, but it was cheaper than living at home and I reckon worked out at around ~$4000/wk, everything included. I reckon we could have trimmed that by $1000/wk without even trying if we had to, and halved it if we absolutely needed to.
5) Have a plan for the kids in the car particularly the older ones. Unless you're the Michael Phelps of parenting, "winging" it is risky. Are they seasoned travellers? If not, plan more. Particularly your distances.

My wife has flow to the UK a few times with our 3.... I think the best was with 10m, 3yr and 5yr old. I mean... insane.
Thanks mate I could try to do it in 4 days as I would have a day before the family fly up and with the kids we will have 30 days to get back to Geelong so each drive shouldn't be more than a couple of hours depending on where we are heading
Thanks for the reply and advice

Reactions: Smergen

rags

Smergen,

Did you mean $4000 or $400 p/wk?