Gas or Diesel Heater?

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
We had a diesel heater in our last van and it was great, new van had a gas heater fitted a few weeks ago and while it cost more it is far better than the diesel heater, I think price and the fact that you can install a diesel heater yourself are the main reasons people get them, what a lot of peaple don't relise is you can install a gas heater yourself as well, you just have to get the gas line hooked up by a gas fitter.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I haven't got either yet unfortunately:(

However a mate who installs them swears buy the diesel heater especially if doing a lot of free camping, has all your other stuff fridge stove hot water etc uses the gas, he however no longer installs the cheaper one's as there's to many problems getting parts and warranty.

My thinking is gas because you already have the fuel source and no need for the extra tank, also what about I'm the warmer months when you don't use it, any diesel left in the tank can go off

If you have a motorhome that's a different story, you have both fuel sources available so I guess it comes back to personal preference.
I'm some cases now diesel is being used for both water heating vehicle heating and cooking

Reactions: WHHEMI

Macropod

Sep 5, 2013
Cordeaux Heights, NSW
I have just finished installing a 5.5kw cheap chinese diesel heater. Also underslung a 40L tank. Mainly because we camp at the snow and last year the annex got down to minus 12...so a little chilly. Tried this out the other week at 4 degrees and we roasted...had to pop it down to the lowest setting. Heading down the snow next week for 10 days so should be fine then. Also just finished building a portable one to heat the annex. I agree that the cheap chinese ones will probably break down eventually...but for $290 (thats what the last one cost) I will just buy a new one.

I will post pics and the full story after I have been to the snow for both the van install and the portable unit.

Reactions: G Daddy

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
For whats worth, the 10ltr diesel tank I fitted has never been an issue or inconvenience in regards to capacity, filling or being a different fuel source. My cars diesel anyway. With my heater thumping away flat out last winter, topping up the tank with a 1ltr cordial bottle of diesel to get me to the end of the weekend was pretty convenient. I use the diesel treatment Nissan give me after a service in my heater tank, and the fuel has been fine from one winter to the next

I have just finished installing a 5.5kw cheap chinese diesel heater. Also underslung a 40L tank. Mainly because we camp at the snow and last year the annex got down to minus 12...so a little chilly. Tried this out the other week at 4 degrees and we roasted...had to pop it down to the lowest setting. Heading down the snow next week for 10 days so should be fine then. Also just finished building a portable one to heat the annex. I agree that the cheap chinese ones will probably break down eventually...but for $290 (thats what the last one cost) I will just buy a new one.

I will post pics and the full story after I have been to the snow for both the van install and the portable unit.
With our Eberspacher 2.2kW we would literally not survive in minus 12.

I dont think Id ever put a cheapie in the van but I do like the idea of a cheap portable unit for the annex

Last edited:
Reactions: WHHEMI